Automatic Coop Door Opener: Your Experiences Please!

Leahs Mom

Free Ranging
8 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Indiana
I am considering an auto door opener/closer. My main concern is that all the
chickens get in at night and that no one gets locked out by mistake!

If you have one, could you please comment on your experiences and if you've
liked it or not.

Thanks!

Installing one this weekend. We gave it a test drive last week and it worked fine. We wanted to test it out before we installed it. Seemed to work good with the timer. I got the one from fleming outdoors. It is made with aluminum to prevent rust and rot and the frame is made out of decking material not wood so that will not rot either. The timer is not the best on the market, so we are using a different one. (we are electrical contractors and my husband doesn't like that brand) The door cost $220. with shipping. My husband said he could have made one for a lot less. So if your handy that could be an option. I don't want to rush home or get up to close the coop door every day. I am currently watching the neighbors chickens and she has a manual door. The chickens seemed pretty unhappy not getting out as soon as the sun came up. I will post again after we have used ours for a while.

Here's a link for another door I've seen. They have a video you can see showing how it is made and installed. How does this compare to the one you're using?

We made a mistake with ours - so maybe someone can learn from what we did wrong.

Duh - we didn't use any wood sealer on the wood we used for the actual door part. So, when the seasons changed, it would swell, and shrink, and swell and shrink, until it finally snapped the cord.

I'll get it right with the next coop...

We got the kit from discount home automation, I think is the name. Wood worker, so built a simple pocket door frame with vertical sliding door. Leave plenty of room for expansion/contraction.

We still get a visual of the birds in the morning and go out there at night to make sure everyone got in and the door closed. It is nice because you can see the coop and door from our back windows in our home. Super nice deal if you go out to eat, have a late night, etc. You just need to watch the changing daylight and adjust the timer about once a month. We had one bird not get inside for the first time since installation in December. No big deal because I go out there about the time you would shut a manual door. Just a sign I need to adjust timer actuation again.

Will never have chickens without an auto door again.

I have an Add-a-motor on my pop door.It is hooked up to a timer that is "supposed" to figure in DLS time automatically, I guess we'll see tomorrow morning. The door itself is a cutting board with a locking system I devised and works great. I also installed a switch on it that leads to an indicator light in my bedroom. When the door is up, the light is on. When it's closed the light is off. Here is a video of it prior to installing it in the coop.
ETA: video of it in the coop. The light in the coop is wired into the timer that operates the door. It stays on for 30 min. after the door opens and 30 min. after it closes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom