Automatic coop door recommendations

Like you, we don’t have power in our coop. I have been VERY happy with our Ador. The opening and closing is controlled by a light sensor and power is provided by a lantern battery, 6 volt, if I remember correctly. If you want to close early or open late the workarounds are simple. It was relatively easy to install.

Last edited:
I bought the chicken guard and am returning it for the omelet door. The chicken guard has a lot of reviews noting the string stretches over time and if a chicken hits it with their head to rush out the door it tangles leaving them either shut in the coop or exposed overnight. The omelet door has really good reviews from what I gather and is about 100.00 cheaper.
I’ll let you know how it goes once installed.
I had read about the string stretching. I guess I didn't get to the other half! Thanks for the info!

Like you, we don’t have power in our coop. I have been VERY happy with our Ador. The opening and closing is controlled by a light sensor and power is provided by a lantern battery, 6 volt, if I remember correctly. If you want to close early or open late the work workarounds are simple. It was relatively easy to install.
I'm looking into that one, it looks pretty attractive. We definitely have a couple of late goer uppers! It's nice to know there's an adjustment for that. I'd hate for them to be stuck outside all night!

The automatic aspect adjusts internally to be more or less sensitive to the amount of light triggering the opening and closing. Initially I was surprised at how dark it was before the door closed; we adjusted it to close while it was still a bit lighter outside I found the instructions for making the adjustments to be thorough and apparently reflective of feedback. Something else we like about this door is how it fits into a recessed lip when closed, making it less vulnerable to being pried open.

Good luck with your search. No matter what you decide in the end you’ll be grateful for the convenience!

I would highly recommend the ladies first door. I did quite a bit of research myself. Didn’t want a door that was closed with a string and was almost about to buy the ador option when I came across the ladies first door. I liked the Shaft drive option better than the gear option on the ador and also the ladies first door is solar powered which was a plus as well

I bought the chicken guard and am returning it for the omelet door. The chicken guard has a lot of reviews noting the string stretches over time and if a chicken hits it with their head to rush out the door it tangles leaving them either shut in the coop or exposed overnight. The omelet door has really good reviews from what I gather and is about 100.00 cheaper.
I’ll let you know how it goes once installed.
I bought the chicken guard door and opener . The plastic door seemed kinda light weight so I just used the opener and attached it to my heavy aluminum door. It works great. It is important to set it up correctly and not leave any slack in the line to prevent any cord problems. I have had it for 2 months and have had 0 problems and was very easy to install and set up. The plastic door is still in the box.

The chicken guard is an absolute waste. I've had it 6 months, they sent me 3 new motors, then it got cold and stopped working completely. Very poor product.

Back
Top Bottom