Automatic Coop Door (your thoughts...?)

larsocam

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
So after just building my little coop and getting chickens I am wondering how essential an automatic coop door is? They are in a small pen all the time for now which is just enclosed with chicken wire, while the coop is secured with hardware cloth. Anyway, due to having an erratic schedule I was thinking an automatic door would be pretty cool and give me some peace of mind. What do you all think that have them? Also, I have noticed this listing on my local craigslist for a few months and was wondering if anyone in the Oregon/Washington area has this or something similar? It looks pretty good and is cheaper than anything else I have seen or even potentially cheaper than trying to build one myself.

Here is the link: http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/grd/3184106195.html

I have built & installed an automatic door on my coop using the car antenna. It works great, 100% of the time. A power failure can cause problems, such as opening/closing late. It is relatively easy to build/install, & priced right. If you need details on how to build one, email me at [email protected] It can be built using 110 or solar.

The one potential problem I perceive with the guillotine type doors is that if you get litter or debris in the tracks it could stop them from closing all the way, or cause them to jam.

Back
Top Bottom