Automatic Coop Door

MandaCy

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Pennsylvania
Hi all!
What kind of automatic chicken coop doors is everyone using? We live in PA so the winters can get pretty cold and snowy and we are looking for something battery operated. TIA!!

Automatic pop door is on my want list...I also would require battery powered and are in high mountains of Colorado (so cold and snow)...Ador is at the top of my list. They use a pattern battery, instead of AA.

Automatic pop door is on my want list...I also would require battery powered and are in high mountains of Colorado (so cold and snow)...Ador is at the top of my list. They use a pattern battery, instead of AA.
I ordered one, it should be arriving today! New coop build over the weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes ☺️

I got the Brinsea ChickSafe auto door. We like it so far. The chicks go out when the sun comes up and I manually close the door since they haven't figured out how to go inside yet. We are working on that. They are 2 weeks old and stand by the door in the morning waiting for it to open.
I bought the Omlet door and it’s set up for opening and closing according to the amount of light. The girls adapted to it very well.

Three years ago I installed a electric operating door since I had 110V service nearby in a shed. The coop door also could be operated by remote control, and my house is 75 feet from the house. Acutally works from inside the house. The only problem with this type of electric door is it's operated by off and on switch. Turn it off with the remote, the door closes, open with remote door opens. However if you have a power outage door will open or close when power disrupts. One night during a severe thunder storm and lightning, our power went out for ten minutes, then turned on -- then power kept going on off as storm progressed. Got up next morning and found door not open. So I tested door, unplugged, then plugged it in, the door opened, that's a flaw in the system. Works great only if you don't loose power for some reason. Never realized it would do this. Before that I had a mechanical setup to door. Now Battery run is probably better no matter how far you are away from the coop, long as you can trust the open/close mechanism works.

Three years ago I installed a electric operating door since I had 110V service nearby in a shed. The coop door also could be operated by remote control, and my house is 75 feet from the house. Acutally works from inside the house. The only problem with this type of electric door is it's operated by off and on switch. Turn it off with the remote, the door closes, open with remote door opens. However if you have a power outage door will open or close when power disrupts. One night during a severe thunder storm and lightning, our power went out for ten minutes, then turned on -- then power kept going on off as storm progressed. Got up next morning and found door not open. So I tested door, unplugged, then plugged it in, the door opened, that's a flaw in the system. Works great only if you don't loose power for some reason. Never realized it would do this. Before that I had a mechanical setup to door. Now Battery run is probably better no matter how far you are away from the coop, long as you can trust the open/close mechanism works.
Yeah it’s amazing how little this door, and most of them, use up battery power. Batteries seem to last for 5 or 6 months or more.

What brand did you decide on?
I went with the Ador. Thanks for the suggestion!! They had amazing reviews and they’re US made, plus they sell replacement parts in their website so if something goes wrong we won’t have to fork up for a whole new door. FedEx is being a pain though so hopefully it will finally be here today! I’ll be sure to post pics ☺️

Back
Top Bottom