Automatic coop door?

So just to make sure I understand what you are intending to do....

You are going to put a light inside the coop, so the brightness of the light shines on the photocell and keeps it open or the sun keeps it open all day. Then at duck the light keep the the door open until you turn off the light via wifi, and then the door closes.

Is that right?

Ok I don't mean this to be rude in any kinda way so please don't take it as such.

That door is $300 on amazon. It doesn't have the features you want , and you are going to add more cost with the WiFi light.

A good Linear actuator will cost you $40 and the materials to make the actual door should only cost you $20 at the most. Add the cost of the WiFi relay board I mentioned 4ch $23.90. Plus 4 light bars for $21, that only comes out to $104.90.

Not to mention that the WiFi light you get is probably (unless it's an all in one thing) the same thing as the Relay Module I linked to. So why not get one that will do it all for you. You don't need to program it either. You can keep it "manually" controlled via WiFi.

I can give you a link to where I got 6 (yes 6) actuators of very good quality, style and lightweight but tough. I got them at different times for $30 each. Loved the first one so much I got two more. That's all they had at the time. When they got more, I ordered three more. Their price went up to $40 tho. If I need more I would still pay it. If you shop or ask around you might find a cheaper one. Heck if you want one a little less stylish for $35 I know of one on ebay. I purchased one from them at the same time I purchased the first one I like so much. Bottom Pic. It's Just a bit louder tho.

It's the center one in this video. Purchase #1

And it's also the one in this video. Purchase #2

Comes with the mounting hardware. Some don't.

s-l1600.jpg

View attachment 2413975
How do they do with very cold weather?

How do they do with very cold weather?

That I can not tell you. What I can tell you is if that $300 door can take it, so can the components I am suggesting. That door's motor is not encased inside the housing and you can't insulate it without a lot of hassle(a lot I mean more than it should). If you get a linear actuator all you have to do is wrap some Pipe Insulation around it. Same thing for the Relay WiFi module. With some insulation and being inside it should do fine. Just cover the insulation with some duct tape so the chickens won't pick at it. Or wall it up.

How is the project going? What did you go with?
Honestly I haven’t done anything about it, they have gotten better at being inside when i get home late , and i have gotten some ideas involving a rope/pulley system and a linear actuator trip affair, would require some engineering and need to be reset, but i can buy Bluetooth/WiFi switches and outlets off the shelf intended for Christmas lights and such. The key is that I want the decent controlled to the weight so a duck is unlikely to be shut in the door, might be in, might be out but not pinched . I have a similar issue with my dogs tail and my truck doors i find shutting the door slowly and gently allows her time to get in and tuck it out of the way. The ducks are usually either all in or all out, i have the camera so i can see that they are in or out before actuation, I think it would be relatively safe.

Honestly I haven’t done anything about it, they have gotten better at being inside when i get home late , and i have gotten some ideas involving a rope/pulley system and a linear actuator trip affair, would require some engineering and need to be reset, but i can buy Bluetooth/WiFi switches and outlets off the shelf intended for Christmas lights and such. The key is that I want the decent controlled to the weight so a duck is unlikely to be shut in the door, might be in, might be out but not pinched . I have a similar issue with my dogs tail and my truck doors i find shutting the door slowly and gently allows her time to get in and tuck it out of the way. The ducks are usually either all in or all out, i have the camera so i can see that they are in or out before actuation, I think it would be relatively safe.
" i have gotten some ideas involving a rope/pulley system and a linear actuator trip affair, would require some engineering and need to be reset, but i can buy Bluetooth/WiFi switches and outlets off the shelf intended for Christmas lights and such."

Feels like ur jerkin my chain here. Or you are building some Rube Goldberg machine.

"they have gotten better at being inside when i get home late"

It is not just about them going inside but protecting them as the sleep. I hope you have not lost any so far.

"he key is that I want the decent controlled to the weight so a duck is unlikely to be shut in the door, might be in, might be out but not pinched ."

Linear Actuators come in slow moving options. Plus it is definitely a controlled UP and Down.

"i can buy Bluetooth/WiFi switches and outlets"

As I said before the the MCozy and SONOFF 4CHPROR3 both can handle WiFi and they both have RF remote control capability.

I put together this example on how the SONOFF can be used to open and close with the sunrise and sunset but also be controlled by remote. I also added the Safety Return Up/Down Feature with pressure switch. It will go up and down until the obstruction is cleared OR it reaches a Attempt Count Limit. Then it stops and holds at the most closed/shut position it can. Video below. Only took 30 min to put together. Timer version in background (video on that one later). Only takes a few connectors, the SONOFF, an $8 counter and a Triple Pole Double Throw Relay.

Don't get discouraged when you see the wiring up on the board. this is a test board with Linear Actuator where I test out most of my wiring setups, so it has to accommodate a multitude of components. The setup I am proposing only need a limit switch on top and pressures switch/bar that anyone can make.

If that doesn't do what you need then I don't think anything will. But if not then I might have a few other options.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ldjQ1tkBt8HznjDsUMlA14M7dZHDLPgr/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom