Automatic coop doors

Cutie Clucker

In the Brooder
May 16, 2020
Arizona
I’m thinking of getting an automatic coop door opener but don’t know what to get. What model of automatic door have you all used and does it work well?

I haven't tried any other version than what I have, but for what it's worth we have had "chicken guard extreme" setups (2 of them) for about 2 years now. They are pretty pricey, but worth every penny in my book. The only issue I've ever had with them was I had one get wound up around the spindle wrong one time and had a problem with it for about a week an then I was finally able to figure out what the problem was (user error - I had it attached off to the side so it was sliding off the spool) and that one has worked well ever since and the other one has been working perfectly since I installed it. There is a battery low warning light, which is really convenient. I've probably changed the batteries twice since I bought them, so maybe every 8 months. I have the door and motor casing installed on the outside of my coops which has worked fine - even in our icy Maine winters, but I'm thinking about installing the motor casing on the inside of the coop for better longevity. Seems like the motors have plenty of life left in them after 2 years. I can't tell you how much the automatic doors have changed my life- it's pretty amazing.

I also have the Ador. It’s made in the USA (Texas) and is extremely well built. Installation is very simple and it works great.

I have Chickenguard Premium and it used 4AA batteries. If I have to do again, will get something with metal gear and able to lift more than 9lbs. I am little lazy and like to be able to open/close several doors (coop door, feeder box door, side door from the run to the garden. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom