Automatic coop doors

My work hours have changed so that I don't get home until after dark. So I have 2 choices: leave them in all day or have my daughter shut them up 4-5 days a week. I have been looking at automatic doors and am thoroughly confused. I can't afford the doors suggested. I have a couple questions:
1. On the doors pulled up with a cord, what makes it go back down? Gravity?
2. I found the RUN CHICKEN T40. I love the price and the way it works. But I can't find any info/review on it here on BYC.
Have anyone used one or even heard of it?
Tia, Rose

I have a Poultry Butler installed on the inside of my coop. It's only been in use since January but we haven't had any issues.
I love that it's made in the USA, programmable on a standard or solar power source and bear proof! It works on a screw drive vs a pulley.

I’m thinking of getting an automatic coop door opener but don’t know what to get. What model of automatic door have you all used and does it work well?
Hi there. :frow

I've been using the automatic doors made by Happy Henhouse.. They were easy to install, run on 4 double A batteries, and can be bought with light sensor or timed opening and closing. Getting both sensor types costed about $20 extra but worth it too me for a total of about $169. Not requiring power was a key factor for me.. as we have outages too often. However.. I removed the batteries while homing to a new coop.. and when I put the battery back in the door knew what time of day it still was and what it was programmed to do.. and insisted on opening or closing according accordingly.. In other words.. even after a power outage it will essentially "right" itself!

Yes it closes by gravity.. with a light weight door so no birds will accidentally be crushed.

No issue with predators easily raising it open.. while it could happen.. my coops are open front with wire.. and the pop doors are in solid walls.. any predator would most likely try to go through where they can active see the prize, is my guess.

So far I LOVE my auto doors.. No issue with debris stick in the bottom track preventing closing.. when used regularly.. only during time of lock up (like for homing) when the bird must hang out, dirt bathe, etc INSIDE the coop.. Then I need to clean the track the first time I activate the door to let them out.

There are better doors.. for a higher price. Depends on YOUR needs and resources. This one was affordable, easy to install, and works well.

Best wishes! :)

My work hours have changed so that I don't get home until after dark. So I have 2 choices: leave them in all day or have my daughter shut them up 4-5 days a week. I have been looking at automatic doors and am thoroughly confused. I can't afford the doors suggested. I have a couple questions:
1. On the doors pulled up with a cord, what makes it go back down? Gravity?
2. I found the RUN CHICKEN T40. I love the price and the way it works. But I can't find any info/review on it here on BYC.
Have anyone used one or even heard of it?
Tia, Rose

Never heard of the run chicken t40, but I looked it up and it looks decent just from looking at the pictures and description. I do like the gear drive feature, as a theory, but, in my coop, the notches would probably get clogged up with bedding and poop pretty quickly. If you can afford that particular model, then I don't see why a couple extra dollars is unacceptable for the models already suggested that people have tried already and can recommend, but maybe you will stumble across a winner and be able to recommend the one you get to other people here if it works well. :thumbsup You will definitely not regret the cost of an automatic door. It is a game changer.

Edit to add: Yes, the cord run doors use gravity as the downward pull force. You may need to occasionally rub mineral oil on the runners of that type of door if you live in a dry/dusty climate or area.

Last edited:
I have had the Chicken Guard Extreme with their self locking door for the past six months. It seems reliable so far though hard to say as I've only had chickens for 2 days (yes really!) so I haven't been checking it's opening and closing every day / night but it always seems to be in the right position!

I do like the self locking door though - when it's in the down position you can't push it up.

I have the Pullet Shut automatic door and it’s been reliable for over a year now. It opens outward and mine has a light sensor and is programmable so it’s pretty flexible to schedule.

I just got my coop door 2 weeks ago. We went with the
Omlet door. We love it. Easy set up. We already had a door frame which the omlet fit on perfectly. We added a small wood bar for the ramp. I couldn't get the timer to open and close to work, but quickly figured out to set the time to our time zone. It is working great. Our chickens did not have any adjustment issues to the door. It was business as usual. I set the close time to "last light" not sunset. Therefore, they are all in, and it closes up. We did a lot of research and chose this.
They do offer a kit for the frame we used but didn't need it.
If I can answer any questions, just reply.

Attachments

• 20201028_125648.jpg
    20201028_125648.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201028_125657.jpg
    20201028_125657.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 9
I also have the Chicken Guard with the self-locking door and it works great! I have mine set on a timer but you also have the option of light sensor and you can always manually open/close when needed. I haven't tried anything else to compare but this has been everything I need it to be.

Back
Top Bottom