Automatic door and bedding

annecb

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2022
Hi! On recommendations here, I bought the run chicken automatic door. Just installed it, but the bedding from the coop gets in the way and door won't close. I put a 2x4 just inside the door to create a lip and hopefully keep the pine shaving out of the way. Any other ideas? A different type of bedding maybe?

thanks

My recommendation is install it higher up so the bedding is contained and doesn't interfere. Chickens have no issues jumping up a little bit to get through a doorway.
I never understood why there are so many coops out there with the chicken doorways set all the way down at ground level - literally any bedding type used in that coop would be spilling into the doorway as they chickens go back and forth. Raise the doorway up higher and it shouldn't be an issue - it's what I did on my coop specifically to keep bedding contained. Our old coop only had a 1.5" lip at the doorway and the bedding was constantly spilling out (it was only about 2" deep inside). When I installed my Run Chicken door on the run, I made a small gap at the bottom to let out any wood chips that might accumulate there and prevent closure.

Pine shavings are a good form of bedding. Sounds like your initial idea of a low barrier is pretty good. A picture of the setup would be helpful so we might get a clearer idea of your setup.

Just FYI- Chickens are messy. They'll flick around food, poop in their water and kick around their bedding. You can greatly minimize waste/mess, but don't expect a perfect solution.

Also, please put your general location in your profile. Many questions are location/climate-dependent and you'll get better answers.

The 2x4 should help a lot. I have a 2x6 across the human door to keep bedding in, but my pop door is elevated about 6" off the ground so no issues with bedding spilling out in that area (plus my chickens don't tend to kick bedding that direction, thankfully!)

Completely tear down your coop and start from scratch.

LOL. Seems like you have a good start. Maybe a box made of three 1x6 boards instead of just a single 2x4.

Back
Top Bottom