automatic door for chickens,advise needed

I'm seeing the cost of these doors- I'm gonna say I'm glad my husband can make that stuff on the far cheaper end! Can't wait to get some of this started!

Seriously, if you can make it, great for you, I don't have the tools for most of it, and by the time you add it all up, then factor in labor, no way is anyone getting rich off building these doors.,I doubt I'd break even. True, I do free range, I figure I make up for cost in just what extra time they have to forage for bugs and all....then too, forgetting to close the coop door could cost me alot more, and I'll admit I've done that more than once. Most predators are active at night, right now I am loosing one of two a week in the afternoon, yes,middle of the day....go figure. But more than that, all the chickens get out of the coop, and with number of roosters I have -makes sleeping in alot quieter and I'm not worried about who is killing who. Last in is first out....guess what natural selection....

I'm seeing the cost of these doors- I'm gonna say I'm glad my husband can make that stuff on the far cheaper end! Can't wait to get some of this started!

If you are able to find a motor to do this, please share! I have been looking for a motor on the internet, but I cant find one. Honestly, I dont know what I am looking for (a type that will only open up so far and then automatically reverse when it turns back on). I am very handy and could easily make this, just cant find the right type of motor.

Yes, I'd like to see the cost of it too, plus, photo sensor,panel,battery, magnet, connections, wires,weatherproofing, aluminum panels, frame and the welding material and use of, and the programming, if you can figure that one out, and put it all together for me, with bolts,nuts, included....oh, prime and paint it too.. Me, I'm not that handy, all I had to do was drill some holes and plug the connectors together..worth every penny. If you look close at my pic, I couldn't even cut the original opening straight across, OK, I used a chainsaw, but still. (I'm better at vertical cuts) :) my door looks like a gem, even my six year old granddaughter is impressed.

Yes, if you can find it, please share...but I believe it is programmed to do this by the designers, one who is a mechanical engineer and the other an electrical engineer...they prob already had the tools necessary to build this door, as I understand it, they had chickens and the door came later, they do this as a sideline, not as a sole business. I'd love to see the price list of everything in this door, I've priced a few things retail and I know I got my moneys worth. Best of all its made in the USA and being in business myself...I'd just love it when people say they can get it, buy it cheeper somewhere else you know what, best do that then...actually I'm thinking of another door for my second coop.

Another point; even if your run is completely secure, you don't want the night predators skulking around, looking in and learning that Chickens are in there. Once they do, they'll start working on the run every night, seeking out an overlooked weak spot, and eventually they'll find a way in. Keeping the chicks hidden from sight at night is just one more step to keeping them safe.
You can try to hide your chickens all you want... any predator will know exactly where they're at! Even a blind pig will find an acorn.

Yeah, but i think the point is not if they can find them, but whether they can eat them. It's safe to sleep inside the coop...except from me, which is the only time I can catch most of them...they are vulnerable while sleeping, and while I am sleeping too. Now, I've been told that my chickens come from a line where the broodies will chase off a hawk that's after the chicks....but then, the real issue is the door. My coop has places where predators have chewed on it trying to get in, and had to give up...without the reward, they go elsewhere....now, if occasionally they got in, they'd check it every night no matter what...without me having to try to remember if I locked everything up.

Seriously, if you can make it, great for you, I don't have the tools for most of it, and by the time you add it all up, then factor in labor, no way is anyone getting rich off building these doors.,I doubt I'd break even. True, I do free range, I figure I make up for cost in just what extra time they have to forage for bugs and all....then too, forgetting to close the coop door could cost me alot more, and I'll admit I've done that more than once. Most predators are active at night, right now I am loosing one of two a week in the afternoon, yes,middle of the day....go figure. But more than that, all the chickens get out of the coop, and with number of roosters I have -makes sleeping in alot quieter and I'm not worried about who is killing who. Last in is first out....guess what natural selection....

Please don't take my comment as an 'I can do better for less' comment. That's not where I was heading with that at all. It's entirely possible when it comes time for us to build our coop that we just go ahead and purchase something similar for lack of time. My husband was an electrical engineer and worked several years before that, for a company that did all sorts of automated farm equipment. Chances are he has something we can use laying around...it just may not look as pretty!

Back
Top Bottom