Automatic coop doors: I'd love your input

Lils Roost

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2024
Connecticut
I'm having a new coop built for my ladies and was thinking of an automatic door. But, I'm seeing mixed reviews from doors made of plastic, to doors made with metal; doors that close on items they hit, to the point of a review that one decapitated a bird; doors with nice sensitive stops that won't crack an egg. All of this is leaving my head spinning. I live in CT near a large plot of wetlands; predators abound outside of my fenced yard. These include a pack of coyotes, fox, bob cats and coy wolves. I haven't seen any inside my fenced yard. I want a nice strong door for protection but I don't want one with a closure so strong it can seriously hurt my ladies. I'm new to BYC, new to chicken land and I'd really value any and all input. Thanks in advance.

For the money, I think it's hard to beat what Run Chicken offers. I'd likely get the newer solar version though even though no issues with the battery version after several years use. They only flaw I've seen on them is the manual push button under the lip that a raccoon could technically operate - but I've seen people putting guards on that part lately, perhaps the company might change the switch type to accommodate.

I have predators in my area too, we hardly ever see them - but it doesn't mean they don't see your flock while patiently waiting for an opportunity for a tasty meal. Because of that, my auto door only lets ours into a 2nd larger secure run. We used to free-range daily and now I'd never use an auto door for daily free-ranging; that only happens under supervision now.

Lately our main predator has been a bobcat. We've definitely lost a few chickens to them in the past and even have seen them while we're out in the yard too. Pretty sure it's been a bobcat that's killed two of our outdoor cats in the last 6 months. Just last Saturday morning at 6am the chickens woke me up making a ruckus - I go out to the orchard in my chones and don't see anything near the coop...then I see a flicker of a tail moving on the other side of a tree -- it was stalking our remaining cat, who luckily shot off in the other direction when it pounced, then they both saw me and the bobcat took off. On Sunday I scared a female turkey out of our yard, it flew onto the neighbors property and immediately had a coyote chasing after it. Yesterday morning at 6am I hear the chickens going off again...then 30s later I hear a gunshot - my neighbor shot that coyote about 50yds off the property line. Now it's intimate friends with about 15 vultures

Good luck!

For the money, I think it's hard to beat what Run Chicken offers. I'd likely get the newer solar version though even though no issues with the battery version after several years use. They only flaw I've seen on them is the manual push button under the lip that a raccoon could technically operate - but I've seen people putting guards on that part lately, perhaps the company might change the switch type to accommodate.

I have predators in my area too, we hardly ever see them - but it doesn't mean they don't see your flock while patiently waiting for an opportunity for a tasty meal. Because of that, my auto door only lets ours into a 2nd larger secure run. We used to free-range daily and now I'd never use an auto door for daily free-ranging; that only happens under supervision now.

Lately our main predator has been a bobcat. We've definitely lost a few chickens to them in the past and even have seen them while we're out in the yard too. Pretty sure it's been a bobcat that's killed two of our outdoor cats in the last 6 months. Just last Saturday morning at 6am the chickens woke me up making a ruckus - I go out to the orchard in my chones and don't see anything near the coop...then I see a flicker of a tail moving on the other side of a tree -- it was stalking our remaining cat, who luckily shot off in the other direction when it pounced, then they both saw me and the bobcat took off. On Sunday I scared a female turkey out of our yard, it flew onto the neighbors property and immediately had a coyote chasing after it. Yesterday morning at 6am I hear the chickens going off again...then 30s later I hear a gunshot - my neighbor shot that coyote about 50yds off the property line. Now it's intimate friends with about 15 vultures

Good luck!
Wow! That sounds nuts! I agree with what you say about them being there even though I don’t see them. And its for this very reason that mine don’t free range. The vast majority of the time they’re in a enclosed, covered run. Only when I’m out supervising are they in an additional run without a covering. The door will be placed on the actual coop with the adjacent attached,covered, hardware cloth into the ground, run.
I really appreciate your input!

I've been using this for the last eighteen months.
The make is Chicken Guard. It hasn't failed yet. The sliding pop is part of the coop and not a Chicken Guard product.

https://chickenguard.co.uk/

P5040978.JPG

There are a number of good options out there. I also use the Chicken Guard and mine is still going strong after 6 years. If you look at the picture, you'll note that it lowers the door via a string, so it won't crush the chicken if it should get caught in the door. I purchased their metal door rather than used a home-made version like @Shadrach. It is lightweight, but plenty strong to protect against predators.

There are a number of good options out there. I also use the Chicken Guard and mine is still going strong after 6 years. If you look at the picture, you'll note that it lowers the door via a string, so it won't crush the chicken if it should get caught in the door. I purchased their metal door rather than used a home-made version like @Shadrach. It is lightweight, but plenty strong to protect against predators.
Thank you for your input. I hadn’t thought about how the string would allow for a gentler closure.

I have 2 omelets. LOVE them. Tested on my own hand and arm AND caught a girl in it when trying to close her out using the manual feature. I'm fine, girl is fine. The only issue I had has been my fault. The run door was not closing all the way but it had debris in the track.

Back
Top Bottom