Automatic door ideas for a hinged run door

oguzakyuz

Songster
6 Years
May 28, 2017
Hi there!

I would like to pick the brains of chicken DIY'ers for an automatic run door for my small chicken coop. In the past, I've built automatic doors myself (see my post here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...trolled-diy-coop-door-with-python-code.74113/). But the configuration is now different. I have a hinged door that opens as in the pictures below. Can you think of any ways to automatically open this door albeit a small amount to allow chickens to leave the run in the early morning (while I am comfortable asleep)? Automatic closing functionality is not important. I can close it myself in the evenings. It doesn't have to be electronic, it could be a mechanical system using springs or elastic bands. Please let me know your ideas.

Oguz

IMG_20200922_164551.jpg

IMG_20200922_164609.jpg

I do not have an automatic door nor have I looked at how one works but looking at your automatic door, I have a question:
The mechanism that winds the cord to open the door, does it have to be perpendicular to the ground? Could you install it at angle on the outside so that when it winds, the door opens up and out (not sure if this would be an issue with a predator)
It seems to me you would want the mechanism on the inside of the coop for safety. Not sure if this is possible... a small version of a garage door is something that would seem perfect with the mechanism on the inside to wind up the door.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually found a way to make this work. Here is a video of it in action:

I think I will prepare a detailed post about it :)

Oguz

Back
Top Bottom