Automatic door opener/closer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KahuKenny, Dec 9, 2011.

1. KahuKenny

KahuKenny New Egg

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi...Kenny here...new to the forum today.
    Just getting done building a coop.

Has anyone ever heard of an automatic door closer/opener that would operate, say by light, or by a timer,etc? I have some on my greenhouse that react to temperature...but I am hoping 'they' make an opener that can handle the coop door at evening & morning. Know what I mean?

Thanks so much!
    Kenny

2. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Welcome, I dont have one but a lot of people here do...do a search on automatic openers and you should find several threads. Good luck!

Here is one link search google lots of stuff comes up

http://www.automaticchickencoopdoor.com/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There are quite a few that use timers, including some that people have built. If you want one that uses a light sensor, the only one I know of is the type that Foy's sells. There are lots of threads on the forum that discuss them, if you do a search.

4. ericz

ericz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    media pa
    i just installed one last week. i got the kit from discounthomeautomation.com

comes with motor, timer, solar panel and battery. solar panel keeps the battery charged, battery supplies power through the timer to the motor. timer comes with a wiring harness to connect all the components.

you do have to build your own sliding vertical door.

i am almost finished building the new coop, i will post some pics soon and you can see the door setup inside.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    They sell them on eBay that run on a timer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by