Automatic door opener

kclyde

Hatching
May 1, 2020
Hi all! I've been looking into automatic door openers. Do you have recommendations? Also, in looking on Amazon, I can't tell if the door is included or if it's just the mechanics... does it come with a door? bonus points if you include a link (pretty please!)

Doors are included most of the time, but the listing should specify what you're getting.

I use a Chicken Guard - motor and door have to be purchased separately unless you find a bundle. Main reason I chose this was because I needed a unit that ran on battery, that had the option to run on timer, and that didn't swing open/closed (I don't really have space for a swinging door).

Attachments

• 20200505_074838.jpg
    20200505_074838.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 23
I have ADOR which is great, 6v battery powered, light sensor and a sprocket drive so raccoons can't lift it open. Pully doors are only kept shut via gravity.

Problem with it is it does not function well if below 0 F. Not sure if it's ice/frost or something else. May fix problem when I make a new coop and mount it facing inside.

@rosemarythyme and @SteveUK How does the Chicken Guard work in sub zero temps?

https://adorstore.com/

We don't really get sub zero temps where I am. So I can't really say, but chicken guard do an "Extreme" model for just this reason.
It's super waterproof and super insolated compared to there other models.
BTW the door I use and in the link is self locking. It has wings that come out into the runners when lowered and retract when lifted.

I just picked up a “Pulley-Shut” auto door last Friday. After considering many and being a DIY guy wanting to build one. I decided on a ready made door. Cost of building a reliable door was close to cost of door and still would have to modify and troubleshoot a homemade option. The Pullet-Shut just bolted on and started working as soon as power attached. I got the light sensor option and it works perfectly so far. Look them up at chickendoors.com. Made in Texas by two engineers and selling for over 10 years. Good friendly folks.

@rosemarythyme and @SteveUK How does the Chicken Guard work in sub zero temps?

We don't get sustained freezes (snow yes, prolonged freeze no) plus as a precaution, and to further protect the motor, I installed mine inside the pop opening instead of outside the coop. Unit and door stay dry, so no problems.

I want to be completely transparent here. I absolutely hate the "store bought" door openers and prefer to make one with linear actuators. That being said the people at https://happy-henhouse.com/ have one that is what I would have made and with features I would have added. I have been in contact with them to sell me just the unit and photocell. They have agreed to it and in their emails it seems they have great customer service. Detailed videos on their website also. Once this coronavirus blows over and I can get back to work, I will be ordering a unit for testing. Even tho I have not yet purchased one and tested I really believe that they a great product and at reasonable price. They have also offered to give a discount to subscribers of my youtube channel when I get around to testing and reviewing the product. Maybe I can get them to get you the discount earlier.

This is the playlist I have so far of wiring diagrams and demos of automatic doors. The same list I sent them to show that I am working on and testing configurations.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuVu6jtxZ7FnhvJ8DYSkERG0eAfUNJHQr

Here is a video of someone that already purchased ans installed the unit I will be testing.

Last edited:
I splurged on the Pullet shut auto door opener. I was traveling for work (prior to COVID) and needed an auto door when I was gone. I also have cameras and can alert a neighbor if I see the door is not functioning.
it is not cheap but some women buy fancy schmancy shoes and purses....I buy chicken stuff. Priorities.
I am impressed by it. I got the light sensor and solar power accessories. The chickens got used to it in two days and They even understand the second chance opening which is amazing given their pea brains.
It is quiet, easy to assemble, and has made my mornings oh so much nicer. No more 6 am on the weekends.
attached pics of new coop. (Still need to clean up the wires but you’ll get the idea)

Attachments

• 1D30BF04-A415-4063-9B53-A90CB13330BB.jpeg
    1D30BF04-A415-4063-9B53-A90CB13330BB.jpeg
    672 KB · Views: 14
  • 2E22BD17-B360-46B6-AFCC-146CC449CB54.jpeg
    2E22BD17-B360-46B6-AFCC-146CC449CB54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom