automatic door opener

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eppie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. eppie

eppie New Egg

Mar 21, 2009
    I saw the posts about using the automatic drapery opener to open the chicken door. Does anyone know where to purchase one of these and how much they cost? I researched a few and didn't find any like the ones I saw in the posts and they were very expensive.

2. Zed3

Zed3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD
  3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
  4. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Or perhaps you could make your own... look on my page for detailed instructions... I have two that have been happily opening and closing mine since I made them last February.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I found mine on ebay for about $60. They don't turn up there often though less than $80+. I had to keep checking back about once a week for a few months to find one.

7. rickc24

rickc24 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    if your going to spend the money on the opener i would use chickencoopdooropener.com they are the best the motor runs on the net for 90.00 for a little extra u can get the whole thing.....for 145.00 i believe...get it i have it i have mine set at 600 am shuts at 7 pm but they are in by 5oopm good luck

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I bought mine here http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/2100-2107.html

Expensive
    but it was worth it to me since we sleep in. I couldn't be without one anymore and I'm sure they last a long time. It makes my whole chicken experience much better - the girls get out at daybreak and they are all locked up safely every night. LOVE IT!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by