Automatic door recommendations?

I'm looking to get an auto door....leaning toward the Chicken Run one. Has anyone installed one of these on a basic Tractor supply coop? I'm concerned the thin wood won't handle it? I've already done a ton of upgrading on my basic coop & don't mind doing more...... I plan to upgrade the coop someday to something better...... but not soon... this is my first time with chickens & LOVING every moment. I've learned a lot so far!

I'm looking to get an auto door....leaning toward the Chicken Run one. Has anyone installed one of these on a basic Tractor supply coop? I'm concerned the thin wood won't handle it? I've already done a ton of upgrading on my basic coop & don't mind doing more...... I plan to upgrade the coop someday to something better...... but not soon... this is my first time with chickens & LOVING every moment. I've learned a lot so far!
I have not installed it myself on a TSC coop, but I actually do think it would work fine on one. You could always frame the doorway with plywood to give the door some thickness to screw into. We had to do that with our shed convert coop.

I have not installed it myself on a TSC coop, but I actually do think it would work fine on one. You could always frame the doorway with plywood to give the door some thickness to screw into. We had to do that with our shed convert coop.
Like this:

Attachments

• 5AF1211D-5D35-4532-8653-AA8808D7BF3B.png
    5AF1211D-5D35-4532-8653-AA8808D7BF3B.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Hi, for the door and coop I would recommend you install 2x3 on the inside of the coop on each side that would reinforce the coop wall to keep the Chicken Run door firmly in place. Or another option would be instead of using the wood screws that come with the Chicken Run door you could use machine screws with flat and lock washers and nuts on the inside of the coop. If you go with the latter option I recommend you drill out the holes first. Cheers!

Hi, for the door and coop I would recommend you install 2x3 on the inside of the coop on each side that would reinforce the coop wall to keep the Chicken Run door firmly in place. Or another option would be instead of using the wood screws that come with the Chicken Run door you could use machine screws with flat and lock washers and nuts on the inside of the coop. If you go with the latter option I recommend you drill out the holes first. Cheers!
Thank you so much!! This is excellent & very useful advice!!

I've had the omlet door now for about 2.5 years and have had no issues.

The only downside is that the wood chips sometimes get stuck under the bottom rail where the door slides and it won't close. So I usually check on that every couple days.

I do like that you can set it to open/close automatically with the sunrise and sunset.
Isn't it not closing an issue ?

Back
Top Bottom