Automatic Egg Turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GrayDragon, Nov 4, 2009.

1. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    My mother in law is planning on getting me an incubator, and wanted to know just how important adding on an automatic egg turner is? She feels if it isn't that important, she'd rather get me some stuff for the brooder instead.

Truth is, I honestly don't know. I really don't plan on ever having more than a dozen or so eggs in the incubator at once. How difficult is it to manually turn? I have a little 3-egg incubator, but I've never actually used it before.

She's planning on getting a GQF Hova-Bator Thermal Air Flow Egg Incubator.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is a pain to hand-turn a bator-full of eggs. You must be home for almost 3 weeks to turn them at least 3 times a day and when you do, you let heat and humidity out, though it does come back up quickly. I just like the turner myself, but some prefer to hand turn them. If you have a dozen or so, it's not a big deal, but you do have to be home to do it.

3. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm currently a work at home mom, so the being home to deal with it issue isn't a problem.

4. speckledhen

Then, why not try to hand turn them the first time and later, if you want, you can always get a turner.

5. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Getting the first eggs from a BYC member, didn't want to be without an auto-turner if the negative impact was substantial, so, decided to ask first [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally I like the turner. I'm home most all the time, but I would forget to do it a lot. I disagree that you 'have' to stay home to do it. Obviously you can't go away for a few days, which is what I assume speckledhen was referring to, but if you did work outside of the home, you could turn them before you leave, then again as soon as you got back, then before bed.

I think the only ones I've ever hand-turned completely were duck eggs, and it seems as if the hand-turned duck eggs did better than duck eggs in a turner. Any other type of egg, there wasn't that much of a difference.

I would also do as speckledhen said, and start without one if you wish. You can always get one later on.

7. speckledhen

It's really just a personal preference.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I'm lazy, guess which way I do it. [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A friend of mine has a couple of big incubators, I believe they hold like 400 eggs. He hand turns all of them [​IMG] No way!! [​IMG] The incubators are not cabinets though, the eggs are all on the same level. He cheats, and just rolls the eggs around a bit with his palm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by