Automatic feeder attached to the coop

speedy2020

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 24, 2010
The automatic treader feeder setup build with 3/4" plywood. The front side is double sheet plywood so I can adjust how much the cover opening by adding the bolt underneath the treader. The original plan is let its sit on ground with roof covering on top. But my concern: 1) Some young chicks or chickens will got whack on the head if eating from the side or not heavy enough to push down the treader. 2) The life of the feeder will be reduce if sit on the ground. 3) More dirty and crap if sit on ground. 4)My shipping box coop is small (~30"x33"x68") so extra room help. 5) Since the chickens are not free range, this give them more exercise in the 20'x20' run. 6) less problem dealing with rat/mouse. 7) Keep the feeder dry as the it rain to much here in Washington state.

By the way, the automatic feeder hold about 50lbs of feed and weight around 30-35lbs alone. The weigh require to open the feeder lid is 2.5lbs. After some adjustment, it now open at 1.5lbs.

63890_img_1810.jpg

nipple water system:

63890_img_1804.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. I have rat isues as well but I'm not sure if my chooks would figure out how to use your set-up. I gin'd something else up today with a bucket similar to something shown in a youtube video frequently referenced here. Waiting to see if my girls and boy figure it out. If not, back to the drawing board.

Quote:
You put treat on the treader for them to learn. I feed my late (9AM) on that day so they are hungry and not shy from the feeder noise.

I have folks contact me on how does the feeder attached coop workout so I thought it time to give an update.

The feeder has been attached to the coop since 2011. It been fixed about 3 times because the rain problem and the aluminum screws break & fall out. I wouldn't be surprise because the chickens jump up/down several hundred times a day. It has been working good so far to keep the rat out, utilized the space, and extent the life of feeder.

I also have issue with muddy run (see picture below), which made the feeder get dirty fast. The new sand run solve the muddy ground problem and working fine.

For those plan to build treadle feeder, I would suggest to improve few things.
1) Use stainless or nickel plate post bolt/screw. The aluminum post screw purchased from Lowes or Home Depot will not last. I have to replace them within few months.
2) Use quality wood with 3/4" thick to hold heavy weight (>40lbs feed)
3) If you plan to mount on the wall, the top lid feed cover should be hing flip open down toward front. It not pretty. but easy to pour the feed in. The lid also should be in steep angle so the chickens can't sleep on top.
4) One major issue with this treadle feeder that I do not like. While few chickens are trying to eat and couple start jump on the treadle lid, which shut on their heads. This is annoying problem and can be solve, but require building a brand new feeder. It can be modify as is, but not going to look good.

Muddy run cause the feeder getting dirty fast. It still functioning fine after replace with stainless post screws.

Muddy run after rain (rainy state-Washington)

Add sand to the run. It seems to solve the muddy problem after rain..

The run condition after 2 days without rain.

Last edited:
Add more photos of the cheap box coop by request

Backside of the coop to get egg and cleaning. The chicks, stay in the enclosure underneath the coop.

Card board nest box on the floor. It can be replace anytime as need. The roosting bar is removable and can install with 2x2 and 4x2 (2" side horizontal) or 2x4 (2" side vertical).

Future Dorking (4 Colored and 1 Red Dorking)

I thought it time to post some DYI feeders and waterers for those who would be interest making for their chick and quail.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your waterers and feeders! I am planning a coup (still on paper) and was thinking of installing and automatic feeder. I thought about rain and also about the chickens being hit by the lid, as my chickens don't seem to be on the bright side
smile.png
. I was thinking of having it made of plastic for easier cleaning and also to discourage the chickens from sleeping on top. I don't know if it will work, as I have no experience with that. My chickens do well with the regular 1 gallon waterer ( I have only 5 for now). I place it on top of an inverted cat litter tray and they don't soil it. The little water that runs from it at times is caught by the rim. I might have to upgrade the watering system to a fancier one like yours if I end up with more chickens.
Thanks again. You gave me a lot of ideas.

Thank you for sharing your waterers and feeders! I am planning a coup (still on paper) and was thinking of installing and automatic feeder. I thought about rain and also about the chickens being hit by the lid, as my chickens don't seem to be on the bright side
smile.png
. I was thinking of having it made of plastic for easier cleaning and also to discourage the chickens from sleeping on top. I don't know if it will work, as I have no experience with that. My chickens do well with the regular 1 gallon waterer ( I have only 5 for now). I place it on top of an inverted cat litter tray and they don't soil it. The little water that runs from it at times is caught by the rim. I might have to upgrade the watering system to a fancier one like yours if I end up with more chickens.
Thanks again. You gave me a lot of ideas.

I am glad it help. If you are going to build a automatic feeder and attach to the coop or shed, I would suggest the top lid open and close at front so you don't have to deal with holding the lid while refill the feed. I am going to build a new feeder with other improvement mention above (post#6), treats scrap bucket, roll out nest box sometime this year.
Since you are going to build a new coop, here are my suggestions:

1) Use the floor with some type of heavy duty screen so the waste can drop down under the coop or wash as need. Add the tray at under to catch waste and reduce the cold draft during winter if need. I will move my chickens to outside this year to reduce clean the coop frequently.
2) Coop must be higher ground so the water can easy run off if you live in place that rain a lot.
3) Easy access to get egg from outside
4) Egg roll out nest box. You only need a few and not 1 for every hen (example: 30 hens 5-6 nest boxes).
5) Build coop big enough to hold 2-3 times as you original plan.
6) Coop should be far away from the neighbor house as possible. The smell and noise will make them unhappy.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom