Automatic watering cups

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I just built a new coop and I am looking for the best and cheapest place to buy those red auto watering cups. I plan on screwing them into PVC. In my other coop I have PVC with the chicken nipples but it seems to get the bedding wet a lot , so I had to make a tray with a drain through the floor. I think the cup idea is a better way to go. Any thoughts? Thank you

chfite

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Taylors, SC
If the watering nipples leak, the water pressure on the system may be too high. Just the same, I keep my water in the run in order to avoid having to deal with any leaks.

Chris

7 Biddies

Crowing
8 Years
May 22, 2012
NE GA Mountains
My Coop
If this is the one you're talking about, I got it at http://www.amazon.com/Pint-Poultry-...6H6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338318248&sr=8-5.

It's $32.95 with free shipping. It says they also have 2 new for $27.99, but I didn't check to see if there were shipping costs or how much.

You can see how we set it up to a rain barrel, below:

It's been GREAT! No leaks. No problems. Only thing I want to do is plant a bush to protect the barrel and waterer from the hot afternoon sun.

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
If the watering nipples leak, the water pressure on the system may be too high. Just the same, I keep my water in the run in order to avoid having to deal with any leaks.

Chris
They only leak when chickens are drinking, Sorry i wasn't more clear. They tend to make a mess while drinking. My water is just gravity fed.

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
If this is the one you're talking about, I got it at http://www.amazon.com/Pint-Poultry-...6H6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338318248&sr=8-5.

It's $32.95 with free shipping. It says they also have 2 new for $27.99, but I didn't check to see if there were shipping costs or how much.

You can see how we set it up to a rain barrel, below:

It's been GREAT! No leaks. No problems. Only thing I want to do is plant a bush to protect the barrel and waterer from the hot afternoon sun.
What do you do in the winter time? Im in the northeast,we get some pretty rough winters..

7 Biddies

Crowing
8 Years
May 22, 2012
NE GA Mountains
My Coop
Don't know, yet, as it's only been in about 2 weeks. But, the hen house is well insulated and I don't expect it will freeze in there. So, the plan is to set up the regular waterer inside during cold weather. I'm in NE GA, in the mountains; some years it gets cold and stays below freezing for a week. Others, like this past winter, it only gets below freezing over night. I've though about getting one of those bird bath heaters, too.

Welsh

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Wales
I got them for my hens & rabbits and they are great but the only downside is in the winter time they freeze and still I got to feed water to them in a normal drinker.

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/in...ducts_id=489&zenid=ev4e4cndv13mti390srtsgbqs7

I got mine here and it has completely eliminated the wet spot under the waterers that I had with the nipples. Apparently I have no ability to drill the holes perfectly straight, lol! I just enlarged the holes in the PVC pipe where the nipples were screwed in and replaced them with the cups. Works perfectly!

That's funny, I had to convince my family I was stone cold sober when I drilled my holes. Lol. They didn't believe me.

Top Bottom