Automatic watering cups

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I just built a new coop and I am looking for the best and cheapest place to buy those red auto watering cups. I plan on screwing them into PVC. In my other coop I have PVC with the chicken nipples but it seems to get the bedding wet a lot , so I had to make a tray with a drain through the floor. I think the cup idea is a better way to go. Any thoughts? Thank you

If the watering nipples leak, the water pressure on the system may be too high. Just the same, I keep my water in the run in order to avoid having to deal with any leaks.

Chris

If this is the one you're talking about, I got it at http://www.amazon.com/Pint-Poultry-...6H6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338318248&sr=8-5.

It's $32.95 with free shipping. It says they also have 2 new for $27.99, but I didn't check to see if there were shipping costs or how much.

You can see how we set it up to a rain barrel, below:

It's been GREAT! No leaks. No problems. Only thing I want to do is plant a bush to protect the barrel and waterer from the hot afternoon sun.

If the watering nipples leak, the water pressure on the system may be too high. Just the same, I keep my water in the run in order to avoid having to deal with any leaks.

Chris
They only leak when chickens are drinking, Sorry i wasn't more clear. They tend to make a mess while drinking. My water is just gravity fed.

If this is the one you're talking about, I got it at http://www.amazon.com/Pint-Poultry-...6H6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1338318248&sr=8-5.

It's $32.95 with free shipping. It says they also have 2 new for $27.99, but I didn't check to see if there were shipping costs or how much.

You can see how we set it up to a rain barrel, below:

It's been GREAT! No leaks. No problems. Only thing I want to do is plant a bush to protect the barrel and waterer from the hot afternoon sun.
What do you do in the winter time? Im in the northeast,we get some pretty rough winters..

Don't know, yet, as it's only been in about 2 weeks. But, the hen house is well insulated and I don't expect it will freeze in there. So, the plan is to set up the regular waterer inside during cold weather. I'm in NE GA, in the mountains; some years it gets cold and stays below freezing for a week. Others, like this past winter, it only gets below freezing over night. I've though about getting one of those bird bath heaters, too.

I got them for my hens & rabbits and they are great but the only downside is in the winter time they freeze and still I got to feed water to them in a normal drinker.

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/in...ducts_id=489&zenid=ev4e4cndv13mti390srtsgbqs7

I got mine here and it has completely eliminated the wet spot under the waterers that I had with the nipples. Apparently I have no ability to drill the holes perfectly straight, lol! I just enlarged the holes in the PVC pipe where the nipples were screwed in and replaced them with the cups. Works perfectly!

That's funny, I had to convince my family I was stone cold sober when I drilled my holes. Lol. They didn't believe me.

Back
Top Bottom