Available roost space leaves two pullets out in the cold

don't worry about it, they will be fine - fully feathered chicken does not need any other chickens to survive a night (assuming your coop is dry and draft free). We supplement light in the evening and has to turn it off abruptly (no dimmer). This most likely causes some chickens to spend the night on the floor rather on the roost, but they are fine in the morning.
Why not just add the light in the morning and prevent any potential problems?
I see this has been asked of you already. Have you considered adding a "night light" in the coop. Now I make my kids sleep in the dark but my chickens are happy!

i don't want roos to crow too early in the morning way long before dusk
You can hear him? I can't hear mine unless I'm already awake. Especially in the winter with the windows closed. And my boy starts with short rounds of crowing a little more than an hour pre-dawn.
I don't supplement light. They have a little LED nightlight that is just bright enough so I can see when I do a head count when I get home after dark.

You can see the night light in upper left hand corner over the roost, I put alittle black tape around 1/2 of it. JPEG_20181118_102200_537452114.jpg

Back
Top Bottom