Average age for egglaying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SowdersHomestead, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Is the a resource available that will tell you the average age of each breed when they should start egglaying? I have info on the amount of eggs and size but not age.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    There are more factors than breed pertaining to age of laying. Your best bet would be to say your breed and have folks post what week theirs started lay. I think you'll get a wide range even for one breed.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    It's true. Out of my flock of 9 girls, one of them, a Golden Comet, started laying at 18 1/2 weeks, and five of them (three EE's, 1 Cuckoo Maran and 1 Cherry Egger) still haven't started laying and they are 27 weeks today!

4. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    What are some of the factors that may make a hen lay later? Can their housing, environment, food, cooped up or free ranged be factors? I noticed when we first got our 2 hens I kept them in the tractor for the first 3 weeks so they would know where home was. I was getting an egg every other day. Once I started letting them roam the back yard for a few hours I started getting an egg a day and sometimes 2 a day. It's been raining here the last couple days and they have stayed in the tractor and yesterday was the first day in a month I didn't get an egg. I'm starting to learn a bit about chicken psychology.

5. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    I Say about 20-25 weeks

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    There is nothing that can tell you that. Every pullet is different.

I have three Rhodies and three B'd Rocks all born on the same day. At 20 week one Rhodie started laying, withing 2 week a Rock and another Rhodie started laying. For the most part I have been getting an egg a day from the Rhodies and 6 eggs a week from the Rock. The other three have not started laying yet. They are all squatting which some will tell you that is a sign that laying is days or a week or two away. They are 24 1/2 weeks right now.

I can tell you when your girls will start laying...exactly when they're ready!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by