Average age for Wyandottes to start laying?

i have sebrights, and your sebright looks like a hen to me. How old is it? We had a roo and he was CLEARLY a boy- much bigger comb than the girls of the same age. My guess if you have a squawky hen.
My sebrights were some of the first to lay in my flock.

The only picture I could see was the one with a single chicken, it looks like a girl to me. A sebright hen.

The wyandottes, when you say you bought them online, are you talking about a hatchery or a private seller, like someone on craigslist.
If it was not a hatchery I would suspect that someone sold you much older chicks than you think.
I have wyandottes the same age and they are just little things still.
My hen that started laying for the first time today is 4-5 times the size of my 9 week old wyandottes.
If you can post pictures of the girls that you think are 9 weeks old it would be helpful.

As far as the other question, as everyone said, roosters do not lay eggs, but hens will crow. I do think you have a female sebright or some kind of mix maybe. Its not a very big picture but thats my guess.

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input. I purchased my Wyandottes from a hatchery. It is incredible how much larger the 9 week olds are than the Sebright who I had for about a month longer. The Sebright is probably less than half the size of the Wyandottes. I have posted more pics. So, without knowing the exact age of the Sebright or where it came from, do you think the eggs are OK to eat?
Thanks again for all of your help!
t_=29191897

Mine just laid their first eggs at 21 weeks, yahoo!!!!!! There were 2 pale brown eggs in the nest box, so pale they were almost pink.

Mine just laid her first egg and she is 18+ weeks. She is a GLW. It is small and very light tan color. 1/2 the size of my honey reds. Are they known for laying small eggs? This is my first Wyandotte.

I have six 9 week old GLW and I found 3 eggs in the coop this morning! Is it normal for them to lay so young?:eek:
impossible that your 9 week old GLWs are laying. that is way to young and they have not even matured enough to drop eggs. Sorry but I call bluff on this one. I have 5 that are just now 26 weeks old and only one is laying. I do not know of any breed that starts laying at 9 weeks. I also have 5 Barred Rocks that are approaching 20 weeks have yet to have their combs turn red and they are known to be some of the earliest layers. If your GLWs do not have a nice swollen red comb they are not laying trust me

Back
Top Bottom