Average Life Span of a Chicken/Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Joan, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Joan

Joan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    I'm still a bit stunned to learn about chicken/rooster longevity. Figure I am 69 years old and my chickens may darn well out live me! Hadn't figured on that.
    I have two dogs (Dachshunds) and they are 9 and 10 so I may make the rest of their life span. The chickens are less than 2 yrs old, the rooster is about the same.
    My aging in people and animals gets more complicated than you might think at first blush!

2. cowmilker1958

cowmilker1958 New Egg

May 25, 2011
    I have 2 game twin roosters and they are 16 years old and still going strong.

3. keeperofthechickens

keeperofthechickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Twin Cities, MN
    I bet I have kept over 100 "pet" chickens spanning over 20 years and the oldest one I had was a hen that lived until 8. Other than an eggbound hens my chickens are pretty healthy can survive for a long time. But it only takes 1 moment for a predator to ruin it all. Also need to watch for other chickens in your flock, I have lost a few older hens and roosters to not getting rid of the young roosters before they reach maturity.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have 2 of my original hens that will be 5 in a few weeks. I haven't seen them lay an egg in over a year:( One is a RIR and the other a BO. Neither ever go broody since I've had them either:( slackers!!!

5. dashay moore

dashay moore New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    i did some resaerach and it proves that chinckens live up to 15 years if they are healthy

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    How large was your sample? Can you describe your research methodology? Oh & how did you establish a control group. Please answer, I'm dying to hear more about your "research".

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  7. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Oh dear... I go to college in a year and a half, and i will have a total of 20 some birds this year. Hmmm. I'm the only one in the house who cares or wanted chickens.. Well. My little brothers are going to have to lean the art of chickens :) I thought they lived 3,4,5 years max.... :rolleyes::p

8. Plucketeer

Plucketeer New Egg

Oct 10, 2012
    Central California
    We've got four parrots - one's been with us 28 years now. Another hatched in our home 21 years ago. The others are just youngsters.

9. monteverde

monteverde Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Are you sure it was the same goldfish? I've heard rumors of goldfish being replaced to avoid the heartbreak of losing a pet. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  10. i think your talking about a koi some live longer than humans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by