Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Pics
Nearly 3 million birds in my state have been put down as of today. Approximately 15 backyard flocks containing less than 100 birds have been affected. The vast majority have been commercial turkey farms, and almost every incidence has been traced to a mallard duck. A half hour south of me, an entire family of 8 great horned owls was found dead and tested positive.

If you think this is a "joke" to "incite panic", get lost. This is a colossal deal to those of us in the middle of it.
I never said it was a joke.

How could I sit there and watch them kill my precious babies??? There is absolutely no way!

Because sometimes being an adult means doing things you would rather not.
There's a quote, which I probably won't get right, but in essence:

A child does what it wants, when it wants.
An adult does what they must.

Or, in the words of R. Heinlein
"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out - that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse."

This is a tragedy from inhumane modern farming. Animals are meant to be pasture raised, not cramped in cages or over crowded barns.
Cool story bro. In the mean time, this thread isn't about husbandry practices, it's about HPAI. It's a problem in the here and now. If every single farm in the country went full crunchy granola hippie and went free range at this very second, it would not solve HPAI.

Man, the views in this thread are more scary than the avain flu is! It must be nice to think everything is made up, exaggerated and false. Like, if it's not in an archaic religious text somewhere, it must be some kind of government leftist conspiracy to kill what we love and steal our freedom! Seems like a really easy cop out to having rational and evolving thoughts on today's ever evolving issues.

Broaden your scopes past the precious babies in your tiny backyard setup and realize that this is a problem. Not just for YOU, IF your birds get sick, but for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom