Avian Flu (H5N1) - Discussion

Have your birds been affected by the Avian Flu?

• Total voters
Pics
So a three week incubation in a 95F degree environment ensures there's no HPAI in the hatch.
I can't wrap my head around the whole temperature thing. The virus is inside the bird multiplying and wrecking havoc. But, the inside of the bird is about 102F constantly and indefinitely.

That's a raw deal Laura. I guess it really can happen to anybody. Sorry for your loss.

I can't wrap my head around the whole temperature thing. The virus is inside the bird multiplying and wrecking havoc. But, the inside of the bird is about 102F constantly and indefinitely.

That's a raw deal Laura. I guess it really can happen to anybody. Sorry for your loss.
"Oxygen"

Outside is an Oxygen rich environment. Inside the cell walls, much less so.

thank you for sharing this - I was wondering if they would let eggs be kept, since the process of incubation is hot enough, for long enough, to kill the HPAI (and as the commercial hatchery was allowed to do). Seems like that varies by State. That's alos a VERY long property quarantine period.
I too was surprised to see the eggs weren't allowed. Not even to be sent somewhere. Although I would also imagine the average backyard flock owner would not be able to practice the biosecurity necessary to keep the young birds from falling ill. 150 days does seem an absurdly long time to wait though.

My last post was indeed from a different poster. I belong to a few other Minnesota chicken owners groups, this was posted there. I am expecting to see the details on the Minnesota DNR page in the next few days. I'm curious what county. When it was posted, it exploded with thousands of comments and was ultimately locked. Not interested in finding the relevant details in thousands of comments.

My last post was indeed from a different poster. I belong to a few other Minnesota chicken owners groups, this was posted there. I am expecting to see the details on the Minnesota DNR page in the next few days. I'm curious what county. When it was posted, it exploded with thousands of comments and was ultimately locked. Not interested in finding the relevant details in thousands of comments.
Glad it wasn't your flock.

Any idea why it was locked? Isn't that the point....to have comments?
This is a colossally divisive subject. Humans the world over are experiencing "pathological virus fatigue", and after three years of covid19, people are ready to go full tin foil teepee. It's absolute chaos, the people predisposed to conspiracy theories are so ready to tell everyone what they think about HPAI, and their comments are folded into the sea of adults having real discussion about actual science when instead they should have stayed at speaker's corner babbling into the void like they should.
Screenshot_20220510-093755_Chrome.jpg

In other news, checking to see if this post has made it to the chart, and I see my county of Anoka has its first victims. Great. Just... great.

This is a colossally divisive subject. Humans the world over are experiencing "pathological virus fatigue", and after three years of covid19, people are ready to go full tin foil teepee. It's absolute chaos, the people predisposed to conspiracy theories are so ready to tell everyone what they think about HPAI, and their comments are folded into the sea of adults having real discussion about actual science when instead they should have stayed at speaker's corner babbling into the void like they should. View attachment 3100676

In other news, checking to see if this post has made it to the chart, and I see my county of Anoka has its first victims. Great. Just... great.
I get what you're saying, but without dissenting views it is no longer a discussion.

Back
Top Bottom