Avian Flu Near Me

We noticed today that someone came onto our property (must have been at night) and dropped four hens off into our coop. They aren't acting sick or anything and they've already been exposed to our flock. Is there something we can give them en masse in case one of them was carrying something?

What the heck is wrong with people? Just going into other peoples coops. 😡
I thought the same thing. I'm glad they didn't steal any of our chickens but really mad that they were selfish enough to risk our flock being exposed to an illness. We are a no cull household (have a bachelor flock + all) so there is no way we would cull these chickens. We have 5 different coops and they are behind our house (which is over a half mile from the road and pretty impossible to see at night), so I don't even know they would have known the coops were there.

It makes me so sad to see AI steadily marching across the Country, and staying in a lot of States. I can't imagine really how the USDA people must feel having to deal with culling these small backyard flocks...people's pets.. over and over and over. Please pray for everyone and i hope they come up with a vaccine....please. I know some don't believe in vaccines, but hopefully someone will think it's necessary to at least try to come up with something. Also, I read somewhere that now AI has been detected in fox kits in two different States....:( Seems it would make more sense to come up with a vaccine than to decide people can't free range their flocks forevermore.

It makes me so sad to see AI steadily marching across the Country, and staying in a lot of States. I can't imagine really how the USDA people must feel having to deal with culling these small backyard flocks...people's pets.. over and over and over. Please pray for everyone and i hope they come up with a vaccine....please. I know some don't believe in vaccines, but hopefully someone will think it's necessary to at least try to come up with something. Also, I read somewhere that now AI has been detected in fox kits in two different States....:( Seems it would make more sense to come up with a vaccine than to decide people can't free range their flocks forevermore.
Problem is that all vaccines can eventually lead to mutation or have to be reformulated often due to such. Example, the human influenza vaccine is based on the previous year’s strains and unless they are the same, they offer no coverage at all for the current ones going around. Some viruses mutate faster than others and we would be vaccinating our birds every year potentially. Considering their comparatively short life span and the fact that they are food animals, that is why many people do not or will not vaccinate them, much less do it annually.

Problem is that all vaccines can eventually lead to mutation or have to be reformulated often due to such. Example, the human influenza vaccine is based on the previous year’s strains and unless they are the same, they offer no coverage at all for the current ones going around. Some viruses mutate faster than others and we would be vaccinating our birds every year potentially. Considering their comparatively short life span and the fact that they are food animals, that is why many people do not or will not vaccinate them, much less do it annually.
yes but even after virus has mutated vaccines provide some protection. If they can do it with people they can do it with other animals. And vaccinating even large flocks as chicks would not be a problem. I'm sure hatcheries, aviaries, zoos would find a vaccine for AI useful. Huge poultry farms, probably not...

Try sacrificing a virgin at the nearest volcano........
Too inefficient.
brushfire.JPG

Hello BackYardChickens, I have a query. Recently, cases of Avian Flu popping up along the east coast. There has so far been one confirmed outbreak in my state (it was in a county a far way away from me). Should I be concerned about it appearing in my flock? The outbreak was considered non-poultry and was very small flock size (website tracking the outbreaks: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...pai-2022/2022-hpai-commercial-backyard-flocks). It was almost a month ago and there have been no other confirmed cases in my state. I have a chicken flock size of about 60 and a group of 5 ducks. The chickens and ducks are free ranged on my two acres and can often eat what falls off of my bird feeders, the wild birds may also drink from my duck pond. I'm wondering if there are any precautions I can take to protect my flock and my self, that is, if I need to. Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do? (I can isolate them inside my coop as I have a spacious enclosed run if needed).

P.S. My state is Virginia
Yes, I would consider locking them up. If you do so, consider keeping the ducks separate. They are little feathered Trojan horses of the flu. If they got the flu from the wild ducks, they may not show symptoms, but could pass the virus through their droppings. The chickens could get sick from (ironically) being locked up in close quarters. Good luck. It's scary.

Back
Top Bottom