Avian influenza found in South Carolina

I figured that was what you where worried about, I'm worried about the same thing since my ducks are the only poultry not under cover.
Do you change your shoes and clothes after duck chores also, @Weeg ? Sounds like @HeatherKellyB has a good system. I do not think it’s overkill at all. We were thinking of adding ducks to the farm but will put that off til next year.

I remembered your loss and then diagnosis of ALV 😢 My big ducks don't have a covered run either. It's impossible for me to cover their area right now. What I've been doing is completing all chores for my chickens and bantam ducks first each morning and again at night. Then I carry each big duck from their duck house to their run and any and all chores for them. Once I finish, I go inside and wash up really well. I also use different shoes. This is probably ridiculous, but it leaves me feeling like I'm taking some action in things that are in my control to a point 💞
not ridiculous at all! Every little helps, especially if it gives you some peace of mind! I hope you and your flocks are able to weather the storm!

Do you change your shoes and clothes after duck chores also, @Weeg ? Sounds like @HeatherKellyB has a good system. I do not think it’s overkill at all. We were thinking of adding ducks to the farm but will put that off til next year.
Agreed, @HeatherKellyB's system sounds good given the surcumstances, I do try to abide to a similar setup.
I have a dedicated pare of boots for the coop, along with a coat and pair of rain pants I put over my clothes before going in. Then I take the coat and pants off at my door setup and hang them outside before going inside. Seems to work fairly well.

My thoughts exactly!
And I do wonder if some small backyard flock owners are ignoring issues, deaths, etc, rather than reporting them. Hope not, but certainly possible.
And finding dead or sick wild birds is chancy, at best.
Mary
This has been a major concern of mine. I've heard/read some flock keepers who say, "Don't worry about it" and others saying, "I'll be dammed if they're gonna come and kill my birds," with neither group, of course, planning on taking any precautions.

I’m in Oklahoma and have been following this thread. I just wanted to add that, according to our local newspaper, we had a wild duck test positive for HPAI in Payne Co, where I live. I haven’t seen this show up on the APHIS site yet.
https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/a...cle_a4f82688-b164-11ec-be1f-134f66eb98a2.html
Same here. I contacted the APHIS site about that because the latest update to the site was done on 1 April. But hopefully it will show up on there asap so that others in the state who are monitoring can see that confirmation. I just put my flock on lockdown. I'm closer to Shawnee. 😢

Same here. I contacted the APHIS site about that because the latest update to the site was done on 1 April. But hopefully it will show up on there asap so that others in the state who are monitoring can see that confirmation. I just put my flock on lockdown. I'm closer to Shawnee. 😢
I have free ranging guineas that have just entered breeding season. I have them locked down for part of the day but I’m afraid they will kill each other right now totally locked in. I’m about sick with worry…

Ivermectin is a broad spectrum antiviral that works against a whole slew of viruses including avian influenza. Can also be used for avian mites, fly strike, feline ear mites, canine heart worm, etc...

I keep a bottle of it in the fridge and if my birds suddenly came down with a flu like illness I would consider using it. WARNING -- calculating the proper dose for a tiny 2-6 lb animal is not easy (it is measured by the drop) and mistakes can be fatal.

Two articles below; using Ivermectin in chickens and a study on Ivermectin's effectiveness against a variety of viruses including avian influenza.
https://www.poultrypages.com/ivermectin-for-chickens/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7564151/

ivermectin.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom