Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
So I am in Montana, but want to get some things straight in case it does show up here (not sure how likely that is).

1) If your flock is required to be destroyed, do you know if they will allow you to do it yourself? I just ask because i know my method is fast and about as painless as one can get and while it would break my heart, I'd rather have to do it myself than someone else that doesn't care for my animals that might botch it up

2) I have several pens with hard roofs and either chicken wire or hardware cloth walls. I also have a pen with netting on the roof instead of a solid roof. Would that pen be unsuitable even if the chickens cant get out?

3) I also have a group that isnt penned at all. If i had to destroy them because of that, would i also have to destroy the birds they dont have contact with on the property (the ones penned with solid roofs) or just them and the ones rhey do have contact with?

So I am in Montana, but want to get some things straight in case it does show up here (not sure how likely that is).

1) If your flock is required to be destroyed, do you know if they will allow you to do it yourself? I just ask because i know my method is fast and about as painless as one can get and while it would break my heart, I'd rather have to do it myself than someone else that doesn't care for my animals that might botch it up

2) I have several pens with hard roofs and either chicken wire or hardware cloth walls. I also have a pen with netting on the roof instead of a solid roof. Would that pen be unsuitable even if the chickens cant get out?

3) I also have a group that isnt penned at all. If i had to destroy them because of that, would i also have to destroy the birds they dont have contact with on the property (the ones penned with solid roofs) or just them and the ones rhey do have contact with?

"Out of an abundance of caution" the entire flock on the affected property is usually destroyed. I am aware of no case in which a private owner was allowed to do so themselves, though I imagine large commercial facilities did so under supervision.

Gov't is a blunt instrument. The cost of being wrong about AI elimination is very high, relative to the cost of even a large flock (much larger than my own) of birds. I would not expect surgical precision, though in my experience, the laws of the States I've reviewed at least allow for the *possibility* of more precise actions in the name of Health and Welfare. Much will depend upon who in the State writes the order, and how they draft the order that it be carried out, which is partially a factor of how much resources (money, labor hours, testing supplies) they want to pour into the problem. There was a shortage of available tests, time before last time I was NPIP certified/inspected - I don't know if that was only locally, and I don't know if its reccured).

Solid roofing is needed, because 'no contact' with wild migratory birds means no poo landing in the run also.
So far this episode is on the eastern flyway, not Montana, so that's good news for you.
We all hope it goes away soon, but I'm planning to keep checking the USDA website weekly, at least.
And in a local outbreak, all flock members would be euthanized. Sadly, it's necessary when it gets that bad. So pay attention this winter/ spring.
Mary

Solid roofing is needed, because 'no contact' with wild migratory birds means no poo landing in the run also.
So far this episode is on the eastern flyway, not Montana, so that's good news for you.
We all hope it goes away soon, but I'm planning to keep checking the USDA website weekly, at least.
And in a local outbreak, all flock members would be euthanized. Sadly, it's necessary when it gets that bad. So pay attention this winter/ spring.
Mary
No offense, I'm hoping it just stays an eastern problem. We have geese migrating over pur property right npw which is what got me thinking abput the possibility.

So their definition of a flock is just every bird living on the property, even if they don't ever have contact with each other?

Back
Top Bottom