Avian influenza found in South Carolina

Pics
I’ve seen quite a few regular flocks of wild waterfowl species flying overhead us traveling south following along the Missouri/Mississippi River but also saw some small groups and pairs heading north recently so it almost seems like even the birds are confused about what to do lately 🤔
I've got 2 wild hens (a Mallard and a Canada Goose) that have decided to nest here at my pond, so I imagine many pairs are searching for a place to nest before moving along. That would explain the differences in the flight paths. Then again, I am 99% certain the Canada Goose pair are full time residents here. I'm unsure about the Mallards but the hen acts exactly like the hen that nested here last year did. They seem to know me when new wild birds are absolutely terrified of me. Their residence doesn't change their risks, but I'm just throwing this out there 🙂

For those who have Facebook: an interesting thread in Pastured Poultry group.

A guy near a turkey farm in Indiana that tested positive. His chickens tested negative, but he is still under quarantine and not allowed to sell eggs.
I am glad to hear he didn’t have to automatically cull. Would suck to quarantine and be tested, but better than the worse option….

No they said *as of right now* if you are practicing good biosecurity they won’t just come & cull a healthy flock. I think say if you had ducks that ranged over acreage and did not keep them contained and a neighboring flock tested positive they would most certainly test your flock.

I will absolutely be keeping my girls under cover & in their run for this specific reason. You aren’t seen as a risk if your flock is contained.

https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/qa-with-the-nc-state-vet-on-avian-influenza/

I found some very specific answers — from the NC 2015 HPAI outbreak — to questions like the above. I realize it’s dated info, but it gives a glimpse of how the NCDA carries out surveillance, that there are always 2 tests to confirm, quarantine distances, what happens if a chicken operation of any size also makes and sells feed in a quarantine zone, and unfortunately the exact method used to depopulate and compost 😞. Apparently the infected premises is expected to compost. And even backyard flock owners were able to be reimbursed. Interesting reading and more clear info than I’ve seen from NCDA this time around.

I wasn't aware that here in NC it's supposed to be reported if your flock is found to be MG positive. They don't cull, but from what I've read, they're actually pretty strict. Now, what actually happens and what's written may very well be different, but again, I feel like I can't be the only one that's been unaware of this. Years ago whenever h5n1 was here, NC asked for anyone with a flock, no matter the size, to register them. I haven't read anything about this this time around, not that I'd be rushing off or encouraging anyone to register 🤷🏻‍♀️

I wasn't aware that here in NC it's supposed to be reported if your flock is found to be MG positive. They don't cull, but from what I've read, they're actually pretty strict. Now, what actually happens and what's written may very well be different, but again, I feel like I can't be the only one that's been unaware of this. Years ago whenever h5n1 was here, NC asked for anyone with a flock, no matter the size, to register them. I haven't read anything about this this time around, not that I'd be rushing off or encouraging anyone to register 🤷🏻‍♀️
Seems I do remember this. It was encouraged but not required, no penalty. Wonder how many did?

I didn’t have chickens in 2015 but had a friend who’d just started her first backyard flock. She mentioned the registration thing and the fact that she and her other chicken-keeping friends were too afraid to register. Didn’t totally understand it then, but I do now!

https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/qa-with-the-nc-state-vet-on-avian-influenza/

I found some very specific answers — from the NC 2015 HPAI outbreak — to questions like the above. I realize it’s dated info, but it gives a glimpse of how the NCDA carries out surveillance, that there are always 2 tests to confirm, quarantine distances, what happens if a chicken operation of any size also makes and sells feed in a quarantine zone, and unfortunately the exact method used to depopulate and compost 😞. Apparently the infected premises is expected to compost. And even backyard flock owners were able to be reimbursed. Interesting reading and more clear info than I’ve seen from NCDA this time around.
Very interesting reading. Scary too. I don't think I want to know what the "foaming" method that is used to kill the flock is... 😢 Hope I don't personally find out.

I had many pages to catch up on; now I have several tabs to look at. Thank you for the links.

Too soon for results?
Nope, I get results that day. I get to watch the blood tests being done on the plates, they only take a minute or so, each sample (MG and PT I think). Not sure how rapidly the throat swab/test tube check works, but I think its near instant too. My certification is intact.

Unfortunately I also have a very slow, very minor case of fowl pox - likely brought by mosquitos, no new birds have entered the property since I think Novemer of 2020. Still, under the circumstances, better that than almost any alternative. Most of the affected birds have spots the size of beak pecks on the combs, but a couple have thin scabs about the size of the clicker on top of a mechanical pencil, or smaller. Will continue to monitor.

/edit to clarify, yes, I'm NPIP cert AND Fowl Pox positive at the same time, and with full awareness of the inspector. Further evidence that NPIP makes a very specific recommendation about the "cleanliness" of your flock from a disease perspective which is much less inclusive than many imagine. Obviously, I wouldn't sell chicks (or even hatching eggs - I've not looked to see if its vertically transmitted, and honestly don't care) with known disease in my flock. That's not me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom