Avian influenza found in South Carolina

what a nightmare it would be if it were permanent. Not only for chicken keepers and the poultry industry, but wild bird populations... I don't know a ton about this virus, but between it's adeptness at mutating and incredible level of transmissibility and lethality, that seems like it would have horrible implications for all US wild birds, as well as other countries. What are we even to do if that's the case?

It's the nature of viruses to mutate into less and less lethal variants.

Killing the host is a very bad survival strategy for a disease.

It's in the nature of affected species to have some survivors, who have some resistance, and who's offspring tend to have improved resistance to severe disease. The 'bug' doesn't have to change, it's the hosts who change.
As an example, measles, more of a childhood affliction in Europeans, and very lethal to native Americans when it arrived here. Other diseases, ditto.
Mary

It's in the nature of affected species to have some survivors, who have some resistance, and who's offspring tend to have improved resistance to severe disease. The 'bug' doesn't have to change, it's the hosts who change.
As an example, measles, more of a childhood affliction in Europeans, and very lethal to native Americans when it arrived here. Other diseases, ditto.
Mary

Yes, it works both ways.

It's the nature of viruses to mutate into less and less lethal variants.

Killing the host is a very bad survival strategy for a disease.

Or both. As @3KillerBs just said. :)

That article was scary to read, though. We have lots of geese in my area, as well as bald eagles.

I am doing what I can to keep my birds safe. I know in the back of my mind that they could all be taken from me some day. Until then, I will enjoy the eggs, the addition to my compost (poop!), and their company.

Back
Top Bottom