Avian Pox

Yes, it was the avian flu thing that was confusing people.

Fowl Pox (or Avian pox) has two forms. One is the "dry" form in which black spots develop on the unfeathered areas of the bird. Namely the face, comb and wattles.

The wet form of pox exhibits canker sores in the mouth and is disgusting to say the least.

when ordering fowl pox vaccine besure it is for chickens
as there is some for other fowl also
w always vaccinated the chicks as they were with the hen and she was to be vaccinated
they never died
but now they sell fowl pox for chicks
just another way to make more money
also you can't keep the opened mixed vaccine only over nite as it goes stale
I would say vaccinate all birds that are not effected with fowl pox
I always used iodine straight on the pox sores

here is why you can't get fowl pox as a human

look at this as a friend of mine gave me this info on this subject

Human chicken pox and avian fowl pox are not the same disease. They are caused by entirely different virus. There is no cross infection between humans and birds.

Human Chicken Pox is Varicella zoster see-
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/chic ... c-overview

Avian fowl pox is-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fowl_pox
any questions email me

my chicken has Avian pox...is the meat okay to eat/and can I still eat her eggs??

I am assuming no, and I would rather be safe than sorry...But does anyone know for sure?
hmm.png

Last edited:
When I was younger, I had a baby crow that developed avian pox. Relax, he was dumped out of his nest (his momma raised four babies that year and when they got so big they wouldn't all fit), busted a wing, and needed a wildlifer to rehab him until he was able to be released. Basically he had a couple of huge sores on his feet and then his beak (I kid you not) developed a similar sore. It's highly contagious in Corvids. That turned his status from 'releasable' to 'non-releasable' and he happily became an educational bird.

Chickens, however, recover nicely from this! Don't panic! Vaccines are a cinch, inexpensive, and a good idea. Since it sounds like your lovely little feathered friend has the dry kind, your getting off with a little bit of a warning. Vaccinate for this, and the rest of your flock should be fine. If your feathered friend isn't sick otherwise, weak physically, etc, they should make a nice recovery too.

Fowl pox is a virus. There is no treatment that cures the disease, however there are treatments you can use.

First of all, if a bird develops lesions, separate the bird from the rest of the uninfected flock. And yes, they can get lesions on their toes or anywhere on their skin.

Put a mild antibiotic in the water to prevent secondary bacterial infection.

Spray for mosquitoes, mites & lice, use the kind of aerial spray that will last a number of hours like you would use to have a party outside during mosquito season. Respray as needed. Any sort of mosquito repellants will help.

Swab the scabs with iodine or blu-kote daily. Oil faces and combs to discourage mosquitoes. If a bird develops internal pox, use listering to swab mouth and throat lesions a couple of times daily.

Back
Top Bottom