Avian Vets are not always needed

robin416

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
to do routine procedures. My vet is a good guy, I can bring in my list of drugs and procedures and he will go along with me. Of course that also means he's smart enough to know if I'm pulling a fast one.

A few examples of why you're dog/cat doc can help you.

Fecals, they are no different than for a cat or dog. Most of the IDing is the same.

Bumble foot, most any doc can do the clean out procedure if you are incapable.

X-Rays, no reason the doc can not perform them. Mine had me position my bird on the table and hold her. The resulting X-Ray told us more than I wanted to know.

Most vets in most jurisdictions must be able to document that they have seen an animal, so it more than likely will be required that you bring the bird in the first time. After that you should be able to tell the doc what you need, that is if he has confidence in you and you're ability to diagnose the problem.

My doc was hesitant in the beginning. Flat out told me he knew very little about chickens. I asked if he was willing to work with me if I could provide a provisional diagnosis and treatment. He told me if you're willing to try so am I.

Finally, letting go. Do it. If what the doc sees on X-Ray is ominous then make that hard decision and make that hard choice that the bird will not suffer. I did it today but I know there will be no repeat, I know that she will not suffer again because I was too selfish to let her go.

Back
Top Bottom