1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aviaries...how big?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarefootMom, May 2, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    How much sq ft per duck is usually recommended? I know with Chickens it is 4sq ft in the coop and 10sq ft run space. We are going to be building an aviary with pond soon and was wondering how many ducks it could house.

We have 10 Muscovies right now (thinking about selling 5 of the hens though) and we have a incubator full of mallard eggs and a few muscovey eggs. We will most likely sell most of the new ducklings, but would like to keep a few of them.

thanks!

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    100sqft per pair.

3. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    4-5 square feet per bird if they have access to a run part time, or are able to free range. and 8-10 square feet if there is no run, or are only allowed a little time.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    For the small ornamental birds 100sqft per pair for their whole life is decent size, if you make an aviary for those heavy breed ducks 100sqft per pair for there whole life is going to be close.

Last edited: May 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by