Aviary Landscaping

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Hey everyone, right now is a great planting time of the year and if you are interested in putting some plants in your aviary, here is an article that I recently finished about adding plants to your pen.

http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Landscaping Your Aviary.html

I really recommend Fatsias if you live in an area where you can grow them. They stay green all year and look tropical. When they get established they grow very well and the peafowl like sleeping in their shade and I even have a peahen that laid an egg under one this year too.

In general when looking for plants to put in your aviary you want them to be thick leafed, or tall enough that the peafowl can't reach the leaves. Plants that are annuals don't do as well as plants that are perennials when talking about an aviary setting.

------------
Also, I planted a grape vine next to my aviary fence. The last one the birds ate on so much that it couldn't really grow much anymore. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for growing vines up the side of an aviary?

Have you tried any climbing roses on the outside of the pen. I want to try them but was scared they would make the peafowl sick. Any advice. Also honeysuckle vine.

I second what Zaz said.

You might have issues with them eating up any vines you plant, but some people have nice vines on their aviary. I can't remember who it is, but someone on here got a place that already had peafowl and pens if I am correct, and I remember from the photos that one of the pens was covered in vines. I wanted a grape vine to grow up the fence but it hardly grew and the birds picked off all the leaves. I am trying a grape vine again in hopes that they might not pay attention to it. I have tried bougainvillea vine also with the same results - The peas eat it up! The only vine that was able to grow up my pen fence was a thorn vine, but of course that is what I don't want.

As far as honeysuckle vine goes I don't know if it would be harmful. All I can say is we have tons of honeysuckle vines growing in our backyard and I like sucking the nectar out of the flowers, and I have also eaten the flowers before. They are good in a salad.

Maybe even if possible it could be on a trellis near the pen so that they can't eat it, but once it gets high it can stretch over to the top of the pen and decorate the top of your pen while the birds still won't be able to reach it. I hope it works well for you. Honeysuckle would be very beautiful near the pen.

Back
Top Bottom