Aviary Netting or Hardware Cloth on Cattle Panel Run

casio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Moundville AL
Hello All! I'm in the planning stages of a run using the cattle panels. If the girls will only be in the run during the day and in a coop at night, will knotted aviary netting be sufficient over the cattle panels? We're also planning to use left over metal roofing up the sides of the run about 3 feet to discourage climbing predators.

Aviary netting, even the heavy duty stuff, will pretty much just keep chickens in. It will not keep out any predators long term except other birds, like hawks.

Aviary netting is like a screen door on a submarine.
ten years ago my husband and I built a 12 x 50 aviary with 4 different pens for cockatiels, budgies, conures, ect... We asked all kinds of bird people if it would be sturdy enough to keep out predators, everyone said no, and I asked a lot of bird breeders. Fast forward to now, it is holding up beautifully. We have it put together with 2x6 lumber, part metal roofing, with the rest on top being clear pvc. The outside perimeter we buried the wire one foot down and one foot outward. Haven't had any problems, other than the ice storm 2 winters ago that did damage to roof when the tree next to aviary got heavy with ice the branches broke and fell breaking the roofs.
I also made an addition to our chicken run using dog kennel panels made out of chainlink. buried them about 18 inches deep and then attached chicken wire using zip ties. Works great too. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses! We have raccoons, possums, and various other critters that would probably love a fresh chicken. We'll go with hardware cloth so we know we're safe.

Back
Top Bottom