AVMA CEO/EXEC. VP Testifies to Congress that NAIS should be Mandetory

scbatz33

No Vacancy, Belfry Full
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
South GA
It's a slippery slope we're on Y'all and it's all down hilll from here!

AVMA Testifies Before Congress on Animal Identification Systems, UrgesMandatory NAIS WASHINGTON, March 11 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
The American VeterinaryMedical Association (AVMA) testified today before the U.S. Congress on animal identification, making the case that a mandatory nationwide program that tracks livestock is the most effective way to minimize the effects of an animal disease outbreak.

Addressing the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on AgricultureSubcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry, Dr. W. Ron DeHaven, CEO and executive vice-president of the AVMA, explained that the National Animal Identification System (NAIS) would allow for the quick control of diseases entering the U.S. food supply. The speedy turnaround, he argued, could save millions of animal lives and billions of dollars, as well as shield public health and U.S. trade from profound damages. "With full producer participation in the NAIS, we will be able to quickly contain and eradicate diseases," Dr. DeHaven told the subcommittee.

The NAIS, a program run by the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is a modern, streamlined information system under which food animals are tagged so that their movements can be tracked in the event of a disease outbreak. Livestock identification and premises registration in NAIS are currently voluntary. "The U.S. cannot afford to wait for a crisis to make a mandatory animal identification system a reality," Dr. DeHaven said. "A potential response time of 48 hours is a vast improvement over the current, outdated system, which consumed an average of 199 investigative days tracing the sources of animals infected with bovine TB between October 2005 and August 2007."

Dr. DeHaven also emphasized that animal identification systems are becoming prerequisites for international trade and that the U.S. lags behind othermajor livestock-producing countries in animal traceability. As an example, he pointed to the bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) events of 2003, which caused long-lasting loss of export market share to the U.S. beef industry. The AVMA has worked with APHIS to help implement and publicize the NAIS to its members.

But despite the work of the AVMA and the USDA, only about one-third-- or 505,000 (35 percent) -- of America's food animal production facilities are currently registered. "Since it is impossible to predict which corner of our nation or sector of animal agriculture will be impacted by a disease outbreak, the AVMA believes that NAIS will not live up to its potential benefit unless all food animal production facilities are registered," Dr. DeHaven said.

Dr. DeHaven's complete written testimony can be viewed athttp://www.avma.org/press/testimonies/dehaven_testimony_090311.asp.

The AVMA and its more than 78,000 member veterinarians are engaged in a widevariety of activities dedicated to advancing the science and art of animal,human and public health. Visit the AVMA Web site at www.avma.org for moreinformation.

SOURCE American Veterinary Medical Associationhttp://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS183563+11-Mar-2009+PRN20090311

If you check out the NAIS website, it talks about how vets are the "first line of defense" and that they are responsible and (if this thing goes mandetory) required by law to notify the Feds when one of their "clients" is not in compliance.

So you're vet comes out to see about a sick animal, they scan for the chip and if you don't have it, they rat you out to the government.

Yes folks, your liberties and rights are officially and unappologetically going to be trampled on. The governement has found yet another way to circumvent "illegal search and seizure" laws.

Can you hear it? Listen closely. That is the sound of congress erasing the Amendments one by one....oops bye bye 4th amendment, so long 1st amendment, we'll miss you 10th amendment....

I am sad.....I have worked with vets. Some really good some just chasing the dollar. If you do your research on vaccines you will find the regimine most vets use is serious over kill. Just think about it.. Do you get you vaccines every year.. You got vaccines as a child and unless you left the country... We here in La. require that we vaccinate for rabies yearly,its a 3 year vaccine. It is the one with the most side effects. To me the micro-chip is going to replace all the vaccines they used to sell. (Google vaccinosis). There are all kinds of side effects with over dosing of vaccines. I have also had a couple of my show dogs chipped only for the thing to migrate in really strange places totally against the chips....I am getting my animals now....We as honest americans are slowly loosing our rights. Being forced to go underground....
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom