Avoid V&R Homestead!

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I've been meaning to make this post for a while now. For anyone in the NY, NJ area, if you are looking to get chicks, avoid V&R Homestead. I bought 4 chicks from them, two of which were supposed to be sexed EE pullets. One turned out to be a rooster. At first, I thought it was an honest mistake. But I now know that his down coloration (a gray chipmunk pattern) usually indicates a boy in EEs. I'm sure they knew he was a boy, especially after some comments the owner made the second time I bought from them about always having too many boys. It seems they sell boys as girls to get rid of unwanted cockerels.
The second time I went to them, I wanted to buy some bantams, but I needed all girls. They said they have a brooding option, where they will give the chicks I buy to a broody hen, and then raise them for 4 weeks. But, I still had to pay for any boys. I though that was weird, but I said okay. I asked what breeds they had, and he offered me silkies. He kept pushing the silkies on me, but I said no because silkies take months to be able to sex properly. Finally, I picked out six chicks (mostly cochins), and paid over the phone. The next day, I get a call saying that a fox got into the broody pen and killed every chicken. So, I would either need to take the chicks now, or I would have to wait for him to get more broodies. I suspected he was lying, so I said I would rather cancel the order completely. Then, I had to call several times to get my money back.
Please avoid V&R Homestead at all costs.

I've been meaning to make this post for a while now. For anyone in the NY, NJ area, if you are looking to get chicks, avoid V&R Homestead. I bought 4 chicks from them, two of which were supposed to be sexed EE pullets. One turned out to be a rooster. At first, I thought it was an honest mistake. But I now know that his down coloration (a gray chipmunk pattern) usually indicates a boy in EEs. I'm sure they knew he was a boy, especially after some comments the owner made the second time I bought from them about always having too many boys. It seems they sell boys as girls to get rid of unwanted cockerels.
The second time I went to them, I wanted to buy some bantams, but I needed all girls. They said they have a brooding option, where they will give the chicks I buy to a broody hen, and then raise them for 4 weeks. But, I still had to pay for any boys. I though that was weird, but I said okay. I asked what breeds they had, and he offered me silkies. He kept pushing the silkies on me, but I said no because silkies take months to be able to sex properly. Finally, I picked out six chicks (mostly cochins), and paid over the phone. The next day, I get a call saying that a fox got into the broody pen and killed every chicken. So, I would either need to take the chicks now, or I would have to wait for him to get more broodies. I suspected he was lying, so I said I would rather cancel the order completely. Then, I had to call several times to get my money back.
Please avoid V&R Homestead at all costs.
You should post this over on the New Jersey thread. I know others on that thread have had very good experiences with them.

So many red flags... I'm glad you got your money back and are now spreading the word but I can't believe you didn't run for the hills earlier.
I know. Looking back, I should have noticed earlier.

If a person is not on BYC, where you can research them thoroughly, Don't buy from them.
There is usually a reason they are not on here.
Definitely learned my lesson. After the bantam disaster, I posted a thread on here looking for bantams, and I found a really nice lady near me who was willing to raise some for me. She even sold me two extra LFs last minute because one of my hens died suddenly and my rooster didn't have enough girls.

You should post this over on the New Jersey thread. I know others on that thread have had very good experiences with them.
I can definitely do that.

Back
Top Bottom