Avril didn't make it through this heat wave

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
I was on vacation, had a friend watching the chickens through this horrible heat spell. Was really worried about the 2 - 12 week old RIR's I just added to the flock. But I should've been more worried about Avril, my sweet, tame 3 year old Americauna. I know she had started to molt, and was stressed by the addition of 3 hens and a rooster, 3 months old. But I didn't think she would die! I can't help but feel that if only I had been there, I might have noticed something wrong sooner, and maybe been able to save her. Or at least she would have died in my arms.
She was like a pet to me, snuggled up to me at night, jumped on my shoulder for treats. I can never replace her. If only I had stayed home!
How does anyone else get over the loss of a chicken who was also a pet?

So sorry for your loss :( It is hard to get over the loss of a pet no matter what pet it is. I was devastated over the loss of one of my girls, they are my babies so i can sympathise. xx

Thanks, Lizzie. Everyone on this site knows what it's like to lose a pet. It's never easy.

hugs.gif

So sorry to hear about Avril.
They all grow on us and have a special connection with their people.​

We got back into town the day the heat wave hit our area with triple digits. I'd been so worried, knowing that my pet sitter wouldn't pay attention to things (or go the extra mile) the way I do. I think EEs, Ameraucanas, and other small combed breeds don't do as well when things are really hot because they can't shed as much of the heat as the large combed breeds.
I'm sorry you lost your sweet hen - yes, I've been there.
sad.png

You have to go to the coop/run and love the others.

We have a new flock of 22 head in one coop/run, of that 9 were male and we gave away 4, left us with 5 cockerels and 13 pullets. They are 5 different breeds all lived together from chicks same age. One lower ranking new Hampshire red cockerel followed the wife everywhere like a dog. She wants a leash to walk her pet through the neighborhood. She loves them birds.

These chickens are 18-22 weeks old and maturing. I have noticed that the roos are picking on the hens and fighting with each other. The dominicker rules the roost.

So the wife walks her NHR all over town and puts him back in coop just as it was getting dark.
The next morning he was dead on the floor ,cold, not even warm. I have since separated the roos from hens, until they mature. There is tranquility in the pens now

They killed him out of jealousy...

My wife morned for days over her beloved "Big Red" Finally she returned to the coop and the healing began. Go let the amazing antics of your flock heal your pain

Love the pics of your coop and chickens! What a great set up you have!

Thanks for all the encouragement. My DH said that this will be the hardest one, and he's right.

Back
Top Bottom