Pics

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Yes, nearly everything in the Australorp SOP is "medium" but that doesn't make these beauties average or ordinary or commonplace -- it makes them iconic and awesome!

Seriously, the Australorp perfectly fits my mental model of what a chicken ought to be. They have an alert, upright posture, but not unnaturally U-shaped like a Langshan. They're broad and solid, but not so round as to have that feathered basketball look of their distant-ancestor Orpingtons. They have large single combs that aren't so large as to fall over like a Leghorn's. Everything about them is in nice proportion without any extremes.

Their temperament is as moderate as their physical characteristics, being active and alert but not flighty or wild. They get along well in the flock. None of mine are cuddle-pets, because I don't raise them to be that way, but they're friendly and follow me all around as I tend the coop and run. I only have experience with about 8-10 Australorp cockerels and one mature rooster so far, but mine have all been polite and well-behaved and, while any breed has it's outliers, they don't have a reputation for human-aggression.

The hens are good layers, though some do go broody, and reliably provide medium-to-large, light-to-medium brown eggs starting on the early end of the average.

They're tolerant of heat, coming through my steamy North Carolina summers without problems and reputedly take cold equally well, though I have no direct experience of it.

Most Australorps are black, but blues are available from a number of US hatcheries and whites exist, though they are very rare.

IMO, they're as close to a perfect backyard bird as you can get. :)

Post your Australorp photos and stories here. It's time to give these awesome birds the recognition they deserve!

My Belle, queen of the flock. She glides around like a duchess! Very very tolerant alpha but no question shes in charge. (I think shes my avatar, i need a new pic)
166C5A06-7A0A-4C47-B6C5-51E97578D347.jpeg

1BF37CE1-3F5D-4743-B578-2098275961D9.jpeg

I remember letting a friend of mine pet one of my broody australorps and he said “she’s so pretty, and has green, it’s like Petting a dragon!”

Unlike my Java, my broody Australorps don't bite me. They grumble and complain that I'm taking the eggs, but they don't bite.

Yes, nearly everything in the Australorp SOP is "medium" but that doesn't make these beauties average or ordinary or commonplace -- it makes them iconic

IMO, they're as close to a perfect backyard bird as you can get. :)

Post your Australorp photos and stories here. It's time to give these awesome birds the recognition they deserve
I have 3 hens and I love them. They are very alert and very friendly. Even the rooster I had would eat gently out of my hand, but he was attentive and a good defender of the ladies. The eggs are as beautiful as the birds. I can't think of a single downside to having them. To me it's all plus.

Attachments

• 20210727_080527.jpg
    20210727_080527.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210509_084737.jpg
    20210509_084737.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's good to know that, hopefully, he won't be a hormonal psychopath.

There's no guarantees with roosters, but one thing that is said to help is to raise them hands-off so that they don't come to think of you as part of the flock.

Experienced people here taught me to walk through my males -- not in a challenging way, but as a casual, matter-of-fact thing. Think of yourself not as top bird in the flock but, rather, as The Giant Who Brings Food. You are a force of nature that sometimes shares their space like a horse or a cow so when you move through the birds should get out of your way.

I actually keep some spare buckets and other loose pieces of coop furniture in the coop and run on purpose so that I can intentionally pick one up, walk through the space the male is standing in, and put it down somewhere on the other side.

Another thing that is said to help is to have adult hens in the flock or, even better, an adult rooster so that the up-and-coming cockerels learn proper chicken manners. But if your little boy is already tidbitting that's really promising. :)

Back
Top Bottom