Awesome hen behavior!

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Linda, my ten-month old SS pullet and former unsuccessful broody mama, is having a bit of a problem make the re-entry transition. She got into several fights with poor little Sylvia, also a ten-month old SS pullet, yesterday, and one was so bad, the two oldest Wyandottes had to intervene. It was an awesome display. The Wyandottes positioned themselves opposite each other at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and Linda and Sylvia were at a perfect 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. They held that formation. just a few inches from each other, for almost a full minute, frozen in place until they all moved away and resumed normal behavior.

At bedtime, Linda wanted to sleep in a nest, of course. But she was too agitated to stay on the roost. I had to sit and hold her until she calmed down and then she quietly perched up with the others. But this morning she's still agitated, wanting into the broody coop. Those hormones are murder.

The way the older hens intervened in a rather brutal confrontation (the SS pullets were air-born with claws in the air) was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

Back
Top Bottom