Awful bumblefoot surgery

I did call the Vet and talk to him! Then I called another! All I got was "your chicken has what'? not sure if we do that......wait I will get the doc" finally I asked how much? and I got well not really sure! Not really sure??? uggggg
But there are so many different "suggestions" its overwhelming!!!
Absolutely right. That's what makes bumblefoot such a difficult problem. Few vets see chickens, and the online information is confusing, largely anecdotal, and provided mostly by people who've had no medical training. I would not fault either of you for doing what you did. Mostly I just wanted to highlight the OP's post, to point out: 1. Not every case requires surgery, 2. Surgery comes with its own risks, and 3. This is a painful procedure for the chicken. People should know all of that when exploring the options.

I just attempted this surgery on my hen and I do not feel like it was a success. Nothing came out but blood. Too much blood for my comfort. I am very fond of her and was just trying to help. Now I am going to worry about her for days. :(

I just attempted this surgery on my hen and I do not feel like it was a success. Nothing came out but blood. Too much blood for my comfort. I am very fond of her and was just trying to help. Now I am going to worry about her for days.
sad.png

Earlier this summer I made a complete hash of a bumblefoot surgery. The duck was limping very badly, foot very swollen, and the plug was obvious. How tough could it be to remove? Well, I cut on that poor bird for nearly an hour. I could not get the core out no matter how hard I tried. I kept going deeper and deeper until I felt like I was going to cut through the foot altogether. She bled all over the place. The core simply wasn't there. I ended up cutting the scab off her foot, bandaging the foot and setting her loose. She promptly ran under a shed and stayed there for 3 days without food and water. I thought she was going to die. After 3 days, she came out without a limp and was absolutely fine. The swelling took about a week to go down completely. I was so relieved. I, too, had felt like the surgery was not successful, but it turns out that it worked despite how I felt about it.

I had a similar experience. Cut the scab off, and nothing came out. Nothing. But there was a definite hole all the way up into the foot. So I filled it up with triple antibiotic and bandaged her foot. Kept her in a couple days then let her out. She got lame again. Brought her in, cleaned it, filled the hole with triple antibiotic cream, bandaged it, and this time I just let her out straight away. In a few days I took the nasty bandage off, and she's fine. :idunno

Ok. I have a stupid question. We did some surgery on our Silkie roosters bumblefoot tonight. As I was cutting I could feel something hard down deep and thought it was the core but only a small amount came out with the scab. There is still something hard down deep in the pad of the foot but I can't seem to cut anything out. Can someone do more harm than good by digging around in there. Are there bones or ligaments/tendons that could be accidentally cut?

Ah, that is the question. Of course there are parts of the foot (bones, tendons, muscles, blood vessels) that can be damaged, but where are they? When I do (did) it, I was erring on the side of not damaging the foot. The most helpful thing was when the vet said to pack the wound with a cotton ball soaked in iodine after putting the triple antibiotic ointment in there. I kept the foot wrapped for 3 days (his advice) and unwrapped them (both feet). There were still spots, but over the fall and winter the spots have faded away.
Ok. I have a stupid question. We did some surgery on our Silkie roosters bumblefoot tonight. As I was cutting I could feel something hard down deep and thought it was the core but only a small amount came out with the scab. There is still something hard down deep in the pad of the foot but I can't seem to cut anything out. Can someone do more harm than good by digging around in there. Are there bones or ligaments/tendons that could be accidentally cut?

Well, I used gauze soaked with Vetericyn and used coban to wrap it up. Hopefully all will be well!! I just don't want to cause any more trauma to my rooster! Thanks

Vetericyn is good stuff. I sprayed it on their feet for several weeks after the surgery, and it really helped.

I don't blame you. It is a trauma for everyone. I almost fainted the first time (my daughter the wildlife biologist was here to bail me out), but it has to be done. Good luck, I hope he heals well. My roo seems to be fine 6 months later.
Well, I used gauze soaked with Vetericyn and used coban to wrap it up. Hopefully all will be well!! I just don't want to cause any more trauma to my rooster! Thanks

I haven't had success trying to do surgery either. Just blood & flesh. But I know a number of people have had success with it.

One tip for anyone doing surgery: Using toenail scissors or small surgery scissors or small wire cutters should make things easier, less painful & faster than just using a scalpel or X-acto knife. It will also help to have a pair of tweezers or small needle-nose pliers to help grasp things more easily & gently.

Penicillin is a very good treatment for Bumblefoot.

There are also other treatment ideas that may help listed on the Poultry Podiatry page on my site linked in my sig below.

Back
Top Bottom