Awful chick

HoneyHillHens

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
So i had an existing clutch of 5 chicks in my brooder. 2 salmon faverolles, 2 cuckoo marans and 1 Welsummer. All about three weeks old and female.

i got three more birds, all three weeks old too. 1 EE, 1 red sex link and 1 Turken. Put them in the brooder.

The EE goes out of her/his way to be absolutely awful to all the other chicks. The Turken and red sex link all get along with the current girls. But this EE is evil. I’ve never seen anything like it and I don’t know what to do. It’s obsessed with pecking everyone, specifically loves going after the Welsummer. Anyone have any tips to break this? I can’t keep a bird if it’s going to continue to be bad.

So i had an existing clutch of 5 chicks in my brooder. 2 salmon faverolles, 2 cuckoo marans and 1 Welsummer. All about three weeks old and female.

i got three more birds, all three weeks old too. 1 EE, 1 red sex link and 1 Turken. Put them in the brooder.

The EE goes out of her/his way to be absolutely awful to all the other chicks. The Turken and red sex link all get along with the current girls. But this EE is evil. I’ve never seen anything like it and I don’t know what to do. It’s obsessed with pecking everyone, specifically loves going after the Welsummer. Anyone have any tips to break this? I can’t keep a bird if it’s going to continue to be bad.
Can you make a little jail for it? I've had to separate quail for this reason, I used a cardboard box and cut out one side and put in hardware cloth so they can still see each other. Make sure it has its own food and water and heat obviously. What's your brooder set up like?

FC0A5CD4-89BD-456B-885E-CA7D62C07ABF.jpeg

this is the current brooder. But usually the brooder plate is in a huge 75 gallon Tupperware storage container attached to the side of the puppy playpen, so there is usually more space, I’m just cleaning it out right now and placed the plate in the brooder for ease.

Back
Top Bottom