awning idea needed

Kimberly4403

Chirping
May 18, 2015
My hubby is building me a 2 story moveable coop for my 3 Wyandotte chicks. The main coop area is 3 plywood sides amd 1 mesh side.. I need an idea on what to use or how to construct a clear awning that couldbe pulled down over the meshed side incase of bad weather and during winter months any ideas post pics too would be great

I use a shade tarp meant for chain link dog kennels and run some bungee tarp holders through the grommets to some eye hooks screwed into the framing of the run. It keeps much of the rain from entering as well as providing shade. In the winter I use a clear poly tarp in the same manner to keep out snow and serve as a wind block.

Here's the coop wrapped in the poly tarps for winter. The poly tarp was lifted that day to let in fresh air but I left the mesh shade tarp down--probably to block some of the wind.

The tarps come in all sizes. I've seen them as small as 5'x5' but you could always cut them. If your coop is super tiny or weird dimensions and you don't think the tarps would be worth buying, you could get the same effect with plastic sheeting and window screen. Or even salvaged screen windows or storm Windows.

Back
Top Bottom