Aww hall naww! ~gimped out duckling. Need help~

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xIndigoSkyx, May 20, 2011.

1. xIndigoSkyx

xIndigoSkyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    St.Albert, Alberta
    He hatched just this morning but he's dry no and he uses his right foot to hobble around. He won't use his left leg or foot and he leans funnily to his left side? Is it going to go away or is he not going to be normal? I can take care of a gimped out darn I just wanna know it there anything I can do to help him?

2. Luciesbuddys

Luciesbuddys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    I had issues with one of my mallards when it was about 2 days old and i just gave him vitamins and i took him swimming in a Rubbermaid with just enough water that his feet could touch the ground but enough so that he could move his feet. He is fine now i can still tell which one is him by the way that he runs. He has a very pronounced sway as he runs but he gets along fine now with every thing else (although getting out of the "pond" is harder for him). I also had a 8 week old that had leg issues with a bit of exercise, swimming and vitamins it is mostly fine now. That one still steps on its own feet.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is there any movement in the hock joint?? Is he kind of holding the bad leg up..or does it drag behind him?? Just trying to get an understanding of what is happening to work out what may be wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by