Ayam Cemani chicks 8-9 weeks old

I'm trying to get out of them. The local market is flooded now and it's hard to even give them away. They have no redeeming qualities that I can see.... unless you're into the whole spiritual ceremony thing. I guess the iridescence is nice, but you can find iridesence in a plain ole black-breasted red.
I wish someone had told me this 12 weeks ago :b What is the new cool thing? I'm thinking about getting Indio Gigantes. Are they already too mainstream?

I wish someone had told me this 12 weeks ago :b What is the new cool thing? I'm thinking about getting Indio Gigantes. Are they already too mainstream?
By the time you get any quality stock and breed them, you'll be 3 years behind whatever the latest fad is in the 'in it for the looks/money' Chicken keeping.
Find a breed you like, get high quality stock and work on it until your quality speaks for itself.
There's a new fad every year and a half.
As far I've paid attention, it was Splash/Blue laced Red Wyandottes, then Marans, (I could have that backwards 🤔)then Beilifelders, then the last 2-3ish years, Ayami Cemani.

By the time you get any quality stock and breed them, you'll be 3 years behind whatever the latest fad is in the 'in it for the looks/money' Chicken keeping.
Find a breed you like, get high quality stock and work on it until your quality speaks for itself.
As far I've paid attention, it was Splash/Blue laced Red Wyandottes, then Marans, (I could have that backwards 🤔)then Beilifelders, then the last 2-3ish years, Ayami Cemani.
I'm no breeder... happy enough with my motley crew. I just need a few rare breeds to impress my friends on instagram, you know?

The difference is that Wyandottes and Marans have utilitarian value in their eggs and meat, while Ayam Cemanis don't. They are a novelty breed, like Silkies and most other bantams. I think they will remain popular but they will be less in demand as more and more become available, which is already happening.

I've had tons of kinds of chickens.
I've come to really narrow down to what I like the best.
Buckeyes, Marans, Bielefelders, Bantam Cochins, a couple Large Cochins, and my Self Blue Ameraucanas. After the rest of my chickens pass away I won't be replacing them unless it's with the breeds I just mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom