Ayam Cemani Laying Question

Cawagula

Chirping
Sep 18, 2022
Ok, first time owning an AC and she laid her first egg today! I understand they go through laying phases - lay for a while, stop for a while, start again, etc. - found a lot of information on this. The one thing I can't find is how frequently they lay while in a laying phase. When in this phase do they lay almost daily? (27 - 30 hrs apart) 3 - 4 a week? Only girl I have laying currently is a BCM who lays every other day at about 50'ish hours and curious as to what to expect from the Ayam.

Congratulations on her first egg!

Breed doesn't matter overall when it comes to a single hen. Every individual hen is different for every breed. Their environment and stress also plays a huge role in how often they lay. Some breeds that are known for laying less can have a hen that lays daily. Some daily laying breeds like Australorps, can have a hen that lays every two days.

My Cemani typically lays every other day, with a splash of daily here and there and I'd expect most to follow that. She usually gives me 3-5 eggs a week when she's in full swing of things. She's a brooder though and spends much of her time just wanting to sit on everyone's eggs. She's much more broody than my Orpington even.

Do keep in mind. Depending on where you are located. It's approaching the off season here and mines already stopped laying for the year. You could potentially not see any more eggs for awhile or a couple more before she stops. If that is the case don't panic. They can also sometimes give a first egg and take a week break or more before their second egg. You also may not truly know her egg laying capabilities until next summer. 14-16 hours of light is where they ramp up production.

Congratulations on her first egg!

Breed doesn't matter overall when it comes to a single hen. Every individual hen is different for every breed. Their environment and stress also plays a huge role in how often they lay. Some breeds that are known for laying less can have a hen that lays daily. Some daily laying breeds like Australorps, can have a hen that lays every two days.

My Cemani typically lays every other day, with a splash of daily here and there and I'd expect most to follow that. She usually gives me 3-5 eggs a week when she's in full swing of things. She's a brooder though and spends much of her time just wanting to sit on everyone's eggs. She's much more broody than my Orpington even.

Do keep in mind. Depending on where you are located. It's approaching the off season here and mines already stopped laying for the year. You could potentially not see any more eggs for awhile or a couple more before she stops. If that is the case don't panic. They can also sometimes give a first egg and take a week break or more before their second egg. You also may not truly know her egg laying capabilities until next summer. 14-16 hours of light is where they ramp up production.
Thank You! She's actually been laying almost every day since, having only taken two days off in there lol. Didn't really get her for eggs was moreso just curious since I hadn't seen any information on it lol, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom