ayam cemani rooster sick! Please help!

cowgirlaug39

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
I bought a trio 2 weeks ago, a rooster and 2 hens, well I notice one hen didn't act right one day last week like she was weak, she wobble backwards, I thought it was odd, but if I knew what I did now I would have done something! We found her dead Sunday and now the rooster is sick! He can hardly grow and having a hard time breathing and combs bleeding, I put him and the other hen in a pen by themselves, but I think its too late as I have a skilie that's now sick! I let the man know that he sold me sick chickens he said he didn't know they was sick and that it could be the weather........... Does anyone now what they have? I have already started antibiotics on the 3 sick ones what esle can I do? Thanks any help will be greatly helpful!

I did I nope its far enough! I'm so scared it is going to wipe out my flock! Should I go ahead and give all my chickens antibiotics? They was never in the same pen/coop but the others free range and went right up to them.......

My guess would be Marek's disease I'm afraid, but there is a possibility the AC hen developed Coccidiosis due to being moved to new ground with perhaps different strains than she had resistance to and was wobbly because she was weak.
That said, it is too much of a coincidence that after the move, a hen became sick and then the rooster and now a member of your own flock and particularly a silkie which are more susceptible to Marek's. The birds could have appeared perfectly healthy at their old home and the stress of moving to a new home triggered an outbreak.... How old were the trio? Under a year old would make Marek's more likely.
I dread to think how much you will have paid for a trio of Ayams :oops: to then lose them like this and worse still possible infect your own flock. Was the seller/breeder NPIP certified? That would not rule out Marek's but it would mean many other contagious diseases could be ruled out.

Just did a quick search..some signs of mereks include:
Labor Breathing
Paralysis
Blindness
In coordination
Lameness
Paleness
Pale scaly combs
Greenish diareeha
..just to look for, keep in mind the birds may not have it just because they have a few of these symptoms, illnesses are tricky like that..

I gave them duramycin 72-200 ( that's what someone told me too give them) and they around a year old maybe a tad older the hen that's left is around 9 months and my slkile is around 7 months old this is a nightmare! Lesson learned don't try to get something you think is cool because your the only one who has one near you! These are the first chickens I've ever bought other than chicks! I started out with 3 chicks now I've got a big mess! Thanks for the help!

This is something I found on duramycin (unfamiliar with it but if it's also used for chickens then I learned something new;)):
"Discontinue treatment at least 28 days prior to slaughter of cattle and swine. Milk taken from animals during treatment and for 96 hours after the last treatment must not be used for food." (drugs.com)
Just for a heads up this means while the chickens are on it, don't eat their eggs.

I'm not a 100% sure he was NPIP cerfied he seemed to have thing in order when I got there he showed me around seem like everything was very clean and put together but he did have a lot of quail and pheasant that he raise and sells, looking back it seem odd that he was getting rid if them, he said he was down sizing but he had 3 eggs in the incubator from the ones I bought ( which is odd since I've gotting 6 eggs in 2 weeks even though they only lay 80 per chicken per year) makes me think he just got them and realized they was sick and hurried up and sold them!?! I'm not even worried about the money ( even though I don't have much I've been wanting something different) as I am my other chickens! It just worries me!

Back
Top Bottom