Ayam Cemani size

Mama_in_the_Dell

Songster
5 Years
Sep 22, 2018
Senoia
Are Ayam Cemani a smaller breed? I just got a pullet at auction. I just figured she was small because she still had some growing to do but she laid me an egg today so she’s got to be at least 6 months old. She probably about the size of my appenzellers or even a bit smaller.

Acording to the poultry club of great Britain they fall under the large rare breed chicken class. But i would say they or only large in a small - medium large way. Hope that helps🤔🤨

Are Ayam Cemani a smaller breed? I just got a pullet at auction. I just figured she was small because she still had some growing to do but she laid me an egg today so she’s got to be at least 6 months old. She probably about the size of my appenzellers or even a bit smaller.
As a rare breed with a tight genetic pool you often find them quite inbred, leading to all kinds of symptoms, among them reduced size and vigour:

https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/PMC8100482

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding_depression

As a rare breed with a tight genetic pool you often find them quite inbred, leading to all kinds of symptoms, among them reduced size and vigour:

https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/PMC8100482

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inbreeding_depression
So this is another question entirely but I have a very nice Svarthöna cockerel growing out that I hatched from eggs. They were suppose to be pure but two out of the 3 that hatched have pea combs and one of those has ear tuffs 🤷‍♀️ I’m actually fine with it as I got them for a fibro EE project and I think these will help me move that along faster. My question is what would be the outcome if I breed the Svarthöna and Ayem Cenani together? I know I will get black chickens but can I work with them to strengthen either breed? Both are very dark with little to no color flaws. This is my boy a a month ago. I need to get some updated pictures of him and the new girl.

Attachments

• 4E3E2098-9E3E-425B-89C4-E1DEB090BB31.jpeg
    4E3E2098-9E3E-425B-89C4-E1DEB090BB31.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 8
My question is what would be the outcome if I breed the Svarthöna and Ayem Cenani together?
Just a black coloured mixed breed.
I know I will get black chickens but can I work with them to strengthen either breed?
To strenghten either breed I would suggest to get pure blood lines, that are not related to the ones you have.

Just randomly mixing with another breed can ruin everything and lessen the already tight gene pool even more, as these alien genes will pop up uncontrollably over many decades to come.

It often seems the quick fix for rare breeds and I have seen people and even breeders do it many times. But although the resulting F1 might appear to be an enhancement at first glance, breeding these will have a wide array of genetic expressions that will not fit with the desired/intended results.

I have a very nice Svarthöna cockerel growing out that I hatched from eggs. They were suppose to be pure but two out of the 3 that hatched have pea combs and one of those has ear tuffs 🤷‍♀️ I’m actually fine with it as I got them for a fibro EE project and I think these will help me move that along faster.
For your fibro EE project the unexpected and obviously mixed hatchlings might come in handy.

Just a black coloured mixed breed.

To strenghten either breed I would suggest to get pure blood lines, that are not related to the ones you have.

Just randomly mixing with another breed can ruin everything and lessen the already tight gene pool even more, as these alien genes will pop up uncontrollably over many decades to come.

It often seems the quick fix for rare breeds and I have seen people and even breeders do it many times. But although the resulting F1 might appear to be an enhancement at first glance, breeding these will have a wide array of genetic expressions that will not fit with the desired/intended results.

For your fibro EE project the unexpected and obviously mixed hatchlings might come in handy.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

Back
Top Bottom