Ayam Cemani

Roosters are sweet, the hens are flighty and don't lay often, all mine have been broody, and small tan eggs. I still like the breed and have been breeding AC mixes to get a bird that looks like them, but lays more.

Last edited:
ayaa.PNG

Olive my first AC pure, I traded her from a breeder that wanted a rooster, I wanted a hen. One pure was enough for me.
Below is her daughter Oli who only wants to raise chicks. She is a AC/BCM mix, her mother hatched her...
ola.PNG

A rooster mix from OH I hatched along with his sister
01i.PNG

She lays a gray egg.
cali.PNG

top egg is hers
greye.PNG

Below is my newest hatched from MI egg, she is a mix and she came from a blue egg. It is hard to tell from this pic, but she is very black. Her name is Velvet.
vle.PNG
vla.PNG

I am happy with my mixes, I wanted to have colored eggs rather than just tan, but have a chicken that looked similar to the lovely AC.

Last edited:
View attachment 2468379
Olive my first AC pure, I traded her from a breeder that wanted a rooster, I wanted a hen. One pure was enough for me.
Below is her daughter Oli who only wants to raise chicks. She is a AC/BCM mix, her mother hatched her...
View attachment 2468380

A rooster mix from OH I hatched along with his sister
View attachment 2468381
She lays a gray egg.
View attachment 2468382
top egg is hers
View attachment 2468383

Below is my newest hatched from MI egg, she is a mix and she came from a blue egg. It is hard to tell from this pic, but she is very black. Her name is Velvet.
View attachment 2468375View attachment 2468376
I am happy with my mixes, I wanted to have colored eggs rather than just tan, but have a chicken that looked similar to the lovely AC.
They are sooooooo cute

I have a pair. The hen is very skittish during the day and lays rather large tan eggs. But she hatched from a nice sized egg too.

The rooster is good towards people but he is a rather aggressive breeder. Perhaps because he's on the bottom of the rooster pole so he's gotta just be quick before he gets caught. He's decided his lady love is no longer my other cemani, but instead a Phoenix broody mama.

Also he's the only make single combed bird I have that didn't get frost bite when it snapped and went to negatives for almost 2 weeks

Are Ayam Cemanis super resilient? I have an injured one and she is doing better but I’m still worried. I hopefully have 2 hens and one roo but I’m not so sure if I have a roo. This thread was really helpful.
They're rather fragile once something happens. I lost my pair this winter, one to the cold and one hit a light line and broke his neck

ACs require more heat than larger chicks. Try putting them by themselves in a small, climate-controlled brooder. A plastic tub with a heat lamp doesn't work well like it does with larger chicks.

Also, BE CAREFUL when shopping for chicks or hatching eggs. A lot of farms try to pass off a different breed as ACs.

This is an AC. Notice it is pure black:
An-Ayam-Cemani.jpg

This is NOT an AC! Notice the red tint to the comb.
il_1140xN.2996573503_24sy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom