Ayam egg...

Ab1010

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
I hatched out three chicks from what I swore were ayam eggs. I got the eggs from a friend who has a ayam. The eggs were medium creamy colored eggs. Two have solid black eyes and one has dark eyes. He verified they were ayam eggs but i keep being told on here that they are not and was suggested to come to this thread. I don't mind if they are not just a little disappointed. I wanted the genetics

Attachments

• 20200919_173120.jpg
    20200919_173120.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200822_204425.jpg
    20200822_204425.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200923_115025.jpg
    20200923_115025.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200923_114936.jpg
    20200923_114936.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200830_103552.jpg
    20200830_103552.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200918_090805.jpg
    20200918_090805.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200918_211240.jpg
    20200918_211240.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 11
The one with the pale dot looks barred.

Do you know what other breeds your friend has? I'm thinking your chick might have an Ayam Cemani mother and some other father. Or else the egg was laid by a different kind of hen and just looked like the ones the Ayam Cemani lays.

Barring is caused by the barring gene, and puts white bars on feathers of any color. So a Bielefelder has white barring and so does a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Marans and even a Delaware (if you want to look up pictures of examples.)

I don't know much detail about Ayam Cemanis, but I know they are black birds--and your chicks certainly have a fair amount of black on them.

ACs are supposed to be completely black. Of course there's a lot that arent but those usually have a little color on a toe or two, inside the mouth or something minimal.
You do have a barred chick and I see one with a throat patch and colored shanks.
I dont know that any are AC but maybe AC mixes.

He had a maran as well. I remember buff and lavander orpington, creme legbar, brown leghorn, and speckled sussex.

ACs are supposed to be completely black. Of course there's a lot that arent but those usually have a little color on a toe or two, inside the mouth or something minimal.
You do have a barred chick and I see one with a throat patch and colored shanks.
I dont know that any are AC but maybe AC mixes.
Oh they are not pure by any means. All his flock were mixed together. Ones legs are green but everyday turn more black like they were. I feel like one had a black tongue but I will have to check again.

Oh they are not pure by any means. All his flock were mixed together. Ones legs are green but everyday turn more black like they were. I feel like one had a black tongue but I will have to check again.
I guess I'm not understanding what this thread is about or if there was a question in there then.

It look like a mix of some sort. Ayam and something else, what kind of rooster does she have? They could eb Ayam eggs, but if she has a a different breed of roo, then they will be mixed with him too. One of the ones int eh first 3 pictures looks to have a black comb, and I right? If he does, he will look the closest to an Ayam. Good luck with them, Avery

I guess I'm not understanding what this thread is about or if there was a question in there then.

OP has a different thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mysterious-ayam-mix.1416497/

Several posters on that thread insisted that these chicks could not even be MIXES of Ayam Cemani, and suggested the genetics forum as a suitable place to look for more answers.

Obviously, several of us here think the chicks could be part Ayam Cemani, which would match what OP was told when getting the eggs.

He had a maran as well. I remember buff and lavander orpington, creme legbar, brown leghorn, and speckled sussex.

Cuckoo Marans and Creme Legbars both have barring, so one of those might be the other parent of the barred chick.

Buff Orpington
Lavender Orpington
Rhode Island Reds
Black Sex Links
Americauna
Brown Leghorns
Penedesencas
Barred Rock
Crested Cream Legbars
Ayam Cemanis
Speckled Sussex
Gold Laced Wyandotte

Lol these are the chicken breeds he has! No maran. So they have to be a mix from these. And now I feel strongly that the small almost all black one with puffy cheeks in ayam amerucana mix! How fun. If I mix it back to a pure ayam do you think I could have an all black chicken with green legs? I'm partial to green and black chickens.

Back
Top Bottom